Disk space on Verbatim Clon 500GB

Tadei173

Beta member
I purchased a Verbatim Clon 500GB external hard drive. My computer has a 500GB hard drive, so I thought this would be perfect for a backing up my files. My problem is that my computer only recognizes 4.65GB on local drive F; and 69.7 on presario G. I am confused as to what has happened to 500Gb of space?? I found this out when I did a back up and it wouldn't hold all files. Please explain!!

Under computer mgmt; disk mgmt I found my external hard drive broken down into drives F and G as well as 391GB of unallocated space. How to I use unallocated space??

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 215 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2942 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM), 128 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 465666 MB, Free - 271885 MB; D: Total - 11170 MB, Free - 2076 MB; F: Total - 4764 MB, Free - 4764 MB; G: Total - 71532 MB, Free - 71438 MB;
Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, NARRA5
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Under computer mgmt; disk mgmt I found my external hard drive broken down into drives F and G as well as 391GB of unallocated space. How to I use unallocated space??

Backup any data you currently have on that drive.

Then in disk management, right click on the F and G drives (Assuming these partitions are BOTH on the 500GB drive) and then select "Delete partition" for both of them.

You should now have 500GB of unallocated space.

Now, right click this unallocated space, select "Format". Under "File system" change the option to NTFS, make sure the allocation unit size is "Default" and tick the box that asks you if you want to do a quick format.

Select "OK" and wait for the process to finish. After it is done, check "My computer" and see if your 500GB drive shows up. Please post back here if you have any problems.

Back
Top Bottom