Computer randomly freezing - motherboard issue?

Raguvian

Solid State Member
I just built a desktop about 1.5 months ago, and starting about 3 weeks ago I've been having a lot of freezing issues. It'll generally happen at least 3-4 times per day.

When it does happen, the computer doesn't BSOD, and the screen doesn't flicker or go dark. It's as if someone unplugged my keyboard and mouse since nothing is responsive. It also happens when the screen goes to sleep. The computer is still on but moving the mouse or pressing any keys does not do anything.

I've turned off any power management options and I'm not having any other issues. I ran a checkdisk and it was fine so I don't believe my hard drive is the issue. I haven't been having any other stability problems or graphics problems so I believe the RAM and the graphics card are OK as well. I haven't had any problems starting or sudden power cuts either, so I believe the power supply is alright as well.

Oddly enough, it mainly happens when I'm on Youtube, so it's not as if the computer is overheating or doing any intensive tasks. Simply watching some videos will cause the computer to lock up, requiring me to hold the power button to turn it off (so I guess that still works on the motherboard...).

I'm pretty stumped by this. My computer specs are:

ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 M micro-ATX motherboard
Intel i5 3570k (still at stock speed since I'm having stability issues)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler
G-Skill RipJaws 8GB RAM
MSI R7950 Twin Frozr graphics card
Corsair CX600 600W power supply
Adata Premier Pro SP900 128 GB SSD
Rosewill 802.11b/g/n PCI-E wireless adapter (doubt this would cause any problems though)

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Some reviews with low ratings on newegg did state that the motherboard had some stability issues, but I'm not sure if that's the same as the problem I am having.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds Like It might be a registry problem. Try running CCleaner to clean your computer and fix all registry problems. A free download of CCleaner can be found here CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download . Also make sure you are using the latest video card drivers. If this does not working please post the operating system and web browser you are using.

Sounds Like It might be a registry problem. Try running CCleaner to clean your computer and fix all registry problems. A free download of CCleaner can be found here CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download . Also make sure you are using the latest video card drivers. If this does not working please post the operating system and web browser you are using.

I have already used CCleaner multiple times, and graphics card drivers are up to date as well. I've updated all drivers including the BIOS as well.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit and Google Chrome. Using Avast also shows no viruses.

Thanks

Is it just the Youtube videos where it is freezing up? If it is that would indicate it is a software problem rather then a hardware problem. Maybe try using a different browser or uninstalling and re installing abobe flash.

Test the memory using memtest.

Just tested the memory, it is fine.

Is it just the Youtube videos where it is freezing up? If it is that would indicate it is a software problem rather then a hardware problem. Maybe try using a different browser or uninstalling and re installing abobe flash.

It's not just Youtube, but youtube seems to be a sure-fire way of causing it to freeze. Often times the screen will go to sleep with the computer idling and the system will freeze there, too.

I just stress tested the graphics card using FurMark for 15 minutes and the computer did not freeze in that time. I don't think it's the graphics card or RAM at this point...

Hardware Compatibility issue with ram memory to motherboard, you might need to play with bios settings or try other ram...
Try contacting the motherboard manufacturer as to what ram memory they recommend for the board.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Absolute crap, registry cleaners are useless and a waste of time, effort and money.

Back up your data, do a reinstall, if everything is fine then it was a software issue.

Back
Top Bottom