VPN at home?

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
I'm want to get a VPN for my home network. I'd like to be able to connect, both to remote into various machines on our network to do any troubleshooting, and to be able to access our data server that we use for backing up files and all sorts of other stuff.

So.... is it as easy as getting a VPN router, configuring it properly, and then (from an outside network) connecting to it with a VPN client? I would need to get my ip from something like "whatsmyip.com" to do that, right?

I don't know about all the hardware, but have you looked at hamachi? https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/

I have that set up so my girl friend's laptop can run the automated backup tasks to my server while she's not here. Best part is for personal use it's free and you don't need any special equipment.

I run a Ubuntu server with SAMBA for data, so if that software would work with that setup, that would definitely be an option.

Most VPN routers just allow VPN Passthrough - you still need a VPN server behind the router in order to be able to VPN in.

If you are running an Ubuntu server and want a little challenge you can set up a vpn from openvpn.net. It is more advanced than hamachi but it will get the job done.

Back
Top Bottom