Telnet on windows 7

BioHazard1

Baseband Member
I just bought "The unofficial guide to ethical hacking" and the part I'm reading right now is using Telnet, but when I try on 7 (I already installed the telnet thing and am running it in cmd) i cant seem to connect to the ip i want to connect to. It always says "could not open connection to the host, on port 23:". can someone help me?

What Ip are you trying to connect to? Meaning is it on your own network or internet. If it's your own network Check firewalls of the computer with the ip in question. If it's on the net and not your machine, then they may have higher security in place.
If you have a router, make sure your router isn't blocking your port 23

Try this. Make sure you are connected to the internet.
before you get to your telnet, in your standard command prompt, make sure you can reach the ip you are trying to telnet. ping your.ip.add.ress

while you are in your telnet.
Type:
Code:
open sdf.org

You should be prompted with a login, Type:
Code:
new

Follow the prompts if you want to complete the new account sign up or type c or close to exit it.
If you can connect to it, then your telnet is working fine.

Last edited:
after typing 'new' it says "
sdf.lonestar.org (pts/17)
if new, login 'new' ..

login: new

You will now be connected to NEWUSER mkacct server.
Please login as 'new' when prompted.

[RETURN] THIS MAY TAKE A MOMENT .. Trying 192.94.73.20...
Connected to ol.freeshell.org.
Escape character is 'off'.

sdf.lonestar.org (pts/2)
if new, login 'new' ..

login:

"
what do i do now?

you could make a new user there if you wanted.
But I wanted you to connect to that to test your telnet in windows 7.

Your telnet is working correctly. You just telnet'd into sdf.org

Why you can't connected to the IP you wanted to? Could be it his firewalled, or simply doesn't exist. if you are following a book. Don't trust the ip addresses given in the book. especially from a book that was published in 2002

Agreed, telnet is used to make sure that something is up and running normally. You can telnet into a mail server if you need to check things that way. But for the most part as Buzz has pointed out you can't really do much with your own IP unless you have a server running.

Back
Top Bottom