need advice for a upgraded PSU

stevethebrain

In Runtime
need advice for a upgraded PSU
current OEM fan has a rear exhaust fan.

I have been informed that the OEM no brand name 300Watt power supply that came w/ my Acer 3910 PC is a not a quaility piece?
I've read that
if a PSU fails it could potensionalley ruin the MOBO and CPU are both statements true or false?
What to look for in a PSU like are 2 fans preferred over just 1?
here's one w/ one fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033
here's one w/ 2 fans
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153023&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL082112&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL082112-_-EMC-082112-Index-_-PowerSupplies-_-17153023-L021B
I have a couple of concerns w/ the Thermaltake
1. the SATA power connectors sleeved together if connected to the DVD drive the other cable won't reach the HDD?
2.I've read that Thermaltake doe'snt honor there rebates is this true or false?

what are +12V rails?
what are SATA power connectors this orginale wire harness has power for DVD, HDD1, extra HDD w/ slide in tray and a fourth power connection for a 3rd HDD. so I'm thinking the thremolake wire harness would'nt even work for me? or reduce me down to one DVD and one HDD connection.

Idealley I like a better than OEM PSU and just unplug the wire harness at the PSU and and plug the orginale wire into the new PSU is this possiable or will I have to unplug all the orginale wire and replugin the new wires? do PSU wireharnesses have lables?

PC is used mainly as a home threater PC for recording TV shows so I'd like to just leave it turned on at all times. I'm relucktant to leave PC on w/ this OEM PSU.
Thanks for any PSU advice

Cheap PSU's can damage both motherboard and CPU.
Because Cheap PSU's tend not to give a consistent Wattage or Voltage.

To be honest, unless your going to be upgrading components in the computer which will mean you will need a higher wattage PSU, Dont Upgrade. Your looking at two very cheap PSU's and thell be the same quality as you current PSU. The manufacturer wouldnt put the PSU in there if it could cope with standard specs.

When looking for a PSU look for 80 Bronze + certification. (like the Antec Has)

12v rail is what supplys most components inc Disc Drive, HDD's and CPU.
although 'Dual' 12v Rail' sounds good its not. Single is what your looking for.

As for the sleeving, you will find it has two strings of SATA power connects.

Use eXtreme Power Supply Calculator to find perfect wattage PSU.

Given that the manufacturer put a 300w in there, I'd say that how many fans are on the PSU isn't important, as there's likely not going to be enough heat, or power usage therefore, to worry about.

As the above post says, I'd just leave it as it is, especially as it would void the warranty, although maybe not, if you get a "qualified professional" to do it.

If you really insist on replacing the PSU (I can understand your concerns) then consider a quality PSU brand, such as Corsair, but get one at 300w or something (no point in going less than that, unless you plan on downgrading or upgrading to components that use much less power) or a higher wattage PSU if you plan on upgrading to fancier stuff. Corsair, being renowned and pretty damn awesome, are rather pricey, but their normal (none-"enthusiast"/"gamer") models aren't rediculously expensive. For perspective, my PSU is an enthusiast model (TX750 v2) at 750w - a very good PSU, and it cost me £83, via Amazon.

G'luck!

Last edited:
The manufacturer wouldnt put the PSU in there if it could cope with standard specs. Jake I'm confussed did'nt you mean could'nt cope with standard specs?

When looking for a PSU look for 80 Bronze + certification. (like the Antec Has)

12v rail is what supplys most components inc Disc Drive, HDD's and CPU.
although 'Dual' 12v Rail' sounds good its not. Single is what your looking for.

As for the sleeving, you will find it has two strings of SATA power connects.

Use eXtreme Power Supply Calculator to find perfect wattage PSU.
Jake the Antec looks kindof good however it has the 2 12V rails please recommend a good quaility PSU which meets my critearea.
1.80 Bronze + certification
2.single 12V rail
3.rear exhaust fan
4.minamiun of 5 SATA power connections
5.PCI power
6.good warrenty
7.under 400Watts
Thanks STB

Given that the manufacturer put a 300w in there, I'd say that how many fans are on the PSU isn't important, as there's likely not going to be enough heat, or power usage therefore, to worry about.

As the above post says, I'd just leave it as it is, especially as it would void the warranty, although maybe not, if you get a "qualified professional" to do it.

If you really insist on replacing the PSU (I can understand your concerns) then consider a quality PSU brand, such as Corsair, but get one at 300w or something (no point in going less than that, unless you plan on downgrading or upgrading to components that use much less power) or a higher wattage PSU if you plan on upgrading to fancier stuff. Corsair, being renowned and pretty damn awesome, are rather pricey, but their normal (none-"enthusiast"/"gamer") models aren't rediculously expensive. For perspective, my PSU is an enthusiast model (TX750 v2) at 750w - a very good PSU, and it cost me £83, via Amazon.

G'luck!
I've looked at all the Corair PS however none of them have rear exhaust fans please suggest alternative w/ the above requirements.
Thanks STB

The manufacturer wouldnt put the PSU in there if it could cope with standard specs. Jake I'm confussed did'nt you mean could'nt cope with standard specs?

No Manufacturers will put the correct voltage PSU in there that will only handle standard specs. ie if you upgrade anything a new PSU is usually required.

Reason manufactures put good quality PSU in PC's is because this is the most common component to go wrong, and also the most costly is it takes out any other components. And usually the bill would be left to the manufacturer under warranty.

So i would only suggest upgrading PSU if your upgrading components.

Jake you make alot of good sense in you'r rationale.

I'm hopping next time I look inside the PC that I see the same 80 Bronze + certification sticker. that is pictured in the Acer surport doc.

I'm only planning on adding 2 2TB 5400RPM internal HDDs (in addition to the orginale 1TB HDD) for recorded TV storeage, possiablly a 128GB SSD for OS and a PCI 3.0 USB adaptor, I'm thinking each HDD will use 10 watts a piece not planning like a video card that is power hunry.

Jake for any future upgraded HDD storeage will be external like a WD my book they get there power from a wall outlet so I'm thinking this would'nt use any power from my PCs PSU.

Thanks STB

Back
Top Bottom