CMOS Fail

Justin979271

Baseband Member
Hello everyone. As much as I know about computers, I am horrible with anything related to BIOS. Originally, three months ago whenever I attempted to play Portal 2 I would get a BSOD. I looked into it and found the solution was to flash my BIOS. This fixed the problem with Portal 2. I have noticed though since then, when my PC boots it says "CMOS Fail" at the bottom. I have been ignoring this the whole time, but obviously this isn't good. Can someone identify the problem and what I need to do? My computer has been working flawless as I just ignore the error at start up.

My computer specs:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JUSTIN-PC
System Manufacturer BIOSTAR Group
System Model TA990FXE
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, 3300 Mhz, 3 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 4.6.4, 3/8/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Justin-PC\Justin M*******
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.98 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.33 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.8 GB
Page File Space 7.98 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Basically, it sounds very much like a dodgy flash, which happens. HOPEFULLY you backed up your previous BIOS like you should do... :p If you neglected to do that, then mosey on over to your motherboard's official website and grab some OFFICIAL BIOS thingies, then flash again. Out of interest, why did you need to flash your BIOS in order to get Portal 2 to work? It sounds a bit nuts and unlikely, TBH.

I did backup my previous BIOS. I am careful with things like that. Why do I need to flash again? You mean flash the same version? I really like Portal 2 and plus I payed $49.99 for it at the time. I went onto the Biostar forums and others with the same issue as mine flashed their motherboard and claimed it fixed Portal 2. I did the same and Portal 2 now works. Also, I know about the battery. I saw it when I was building my rig. How could it need to be replaced if it is slightly older than 8 months? I assume they have a short lifetime? Do I need to replace the battery or do I need to flash my BIOS again?

Back
Top Bottom