Windows 9x

BioHazard1

Baseband Member
I want to downgrade my computer to windows 9x, but I'm worried I won't be able to connect to the internet anymore if I do(I'm on a laptop). Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to?

Yes and no.

I think the issue you will have is running a browser that will be able to render current webpages.
You may be able to run and older version of Firefox/Pheonix.

Hm...But there wouldn't be a "Connect to wireless" thing would there? What if I went back to Vista Somehow?

wireless will be a tricky one. I would research your wireless card or PCMCIA card to see if they have 98 drivers. But then you would want to install Windows 98 SE
Vista should be no problem connecting wireless to the internet. (assuming you have a wireless router). But not to many fans of Vista. IMO if you are going back to Vista, you might at well go back to XP much more stable and drivers are plentiful.

Just a quick question, Why the downgrade in OS? And what are you currently running now? You may be able to shut stuff down and drop to classic mode to make your OS run more efficiently.

Last edited:
wireless will be a tricky one. I would research your wireless card or PCMCIA card to see if they have 98 drivers. But then you would want to install Windows 98 SE
Vista should be no problem connecting wireless to the internet. (assuming you have a wireless router). But not to many fans of Vista. IMO if you are going back to Vista, you might at well go back to XP much more stable and drivers are plentiful.

Just a quick question, Why the downgrade in OS? And what are you currently running now? You may be able to shut stuff down and drop to classic mode to make your OS run more efficiently.
im running on 7 but i cant use the telnet the way my hacking book says, so i cant figure it out. the book is using XP and 9x, but i hate XP so i would rather 9x

Ok, Then yes, as long as you can find drivers for your wireless card. (Look before installing 9X) then you'll want to go with Win 98SE (second edition).

Side note if you like you Win7, You may be able to run an emulator like VirtualBox and install any OS to see if you like it and can install the wireless card before making the full switch.. I know it's a bit of work. But no damage would be done this way.

Also Are you having trouble following the telnet instructions? (I've only played with telnet a few times so I can't help much there.) or getting it to run in Win7. If it's getting it to run. you can use Putty, It's free and it has telnet. I've used it for my router.

the only problem im having with telnet is that it runs in cmd as in the book it is its own program. the book says "click connect" but i cont click anythin in cmd

as far as I know to connect something in Telnet,
You would type:

open 111.111.111.111

Change the 1's with the ip you need to connect to and hit enter.
Beyond that, I'm not sure what else I can do with telnet. Usually when it says connect you would press enter.

the only problem im having with telnet is that it runs in cmd as in the book it is its own program. the book says "click connect" but i cont click anythin in cmd

I wouldn't recommend downgrading all the way from Windows 7 to Windows 98 just to be able to use Telnet the same way a book is telling you to.
I'd suggest looking up how to use Telnet in Windows 7 online and get familiar with the command line interface. Once you can connect and such in the command line, you should be able to somewhat adapt what the book is saying to the command line. If you still have a hard time, I'd suggest looking for a newer book that's more relevant.

If this is for a class, talk with your teacher about what you should do.

I'm not exactly sure if 98 will even run on a laptop designed for 7. And why 98 over XP? Do you want something that will crash every 15 minutes?

Your best bet is to keep 7 and learn telnet in that. If you're really set on downgrading, you can run a virtual machine with any OS you choose.

Back
Top Bottom