Help Building Desktop

BioHazard1

Baseband Member
Hey everyone, I decided that I want to build a gaming computer, instead of buying one, cause' building is cheaper. I found the parts I want from a website, only problem is, I don't know what they are, nor do I know how to build the computer, or even if these parts are good. With a budget of around $500, I came up with these parts:

AMD Radeon HD 6670

Cooler Master sileo bundled with a 500-watt PSU

AMD Athon II 640

Gigabyte GA-970A-D3

4GB of Kingston HyperX Blu RAM

Western Digital Caviar Black hard drive (1TB)

Lite-on DVD Burner

are these good? What are they, and how do I build it, i really have no experience. Thanks everyone.

By that logic, I should decide to be a heart surgeon and go buy loadsa tools... :p I suggest you research, practice on older things, and get chummy with some hardware nuts in order to learn as much as you can before jumping in before you have even looked to see how deep it is.

When I told my dad what you posted, my dad absolutely cracked up. xD

G'luck, dude.

EDIT:

OK, I'll be more useful... (although I've hopefully saved you $500)

1. Research on the safety rules (for you and the components) while building, maintaining, fixing, or upgrading a computer. Don't skim this crap, because, while some of it may feel unnecessary, it can often be the make or break of your hardware.

2. Research on the basic fundamentals of a motherboard, and try to understand how parts come offa it, and how they interact with one another. You don't need to much of the technical stuff, unless you're really into it. As long as you understand how a motherboard works, in relation to its build and maintenance.

3. Research on the other components, such as hard drivers, solid state drives, optical drives, central processing units, power supply units, etc. Learn to understand how the parts communicate.

4. Do a little research into the power side of things, because this can be essential to a proper build... it's NOT all Lego, and I get peed off when people say that; it's asinine, IMO.

5. Do some research into heat and how heat is battled against, with to regards to computers, because heat is very important.

6. Finally, once you feel confident enough, grab an OLD (worthless is even better) computer and take it apart, and put it back together. Improve yourself by practicing and learning about the parts you didn't cover above.

This isn't a "Learn how to be a computer techie in 6 minutes." guide, it's just the best thing I can advise, ATM. Remember, it's all very well doing something, but doing it PROPERLY is a whole new ball game.

Once again, good luck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom