What piece of computer hardware allows you to run multiple things at once?

that is plenty. i have only 8 in download, and 2 in upload.
it's not the fastest but if i am not doing any background downloading it is just fine for multiple taps with internet stuff and online chatting.

hmmm. everything seems ok.
are you doing allot of background downloading.
like do you have some torrent client running all the time. if so, that is gonna slow down your computer.

maybe your norton is stressing your harddrive more then necessary.
open up taskmanager again but hit the processors tap instead this time. then sort the list with CPU % highest. (just click the CPU row)
then take a picture of that.

321312321.png

Looks OK to me. Were you experiencing lag when you did this? As you can see on the Performance tab, you're barely taxing any of your cores and you have plenty of Available Memory.

As far as what to disable in msconfig, disable anything that isn't necessary, especially anything that its purpose is to check for available updates and stuff like that. During installation, always answer No when asked if you want the app to automatically check for updates, you can do that manually periodically.

Is slow app loading your issue? If so, you might have a slower, 5400rpm hard drive. Can you tell us what model hdd is installed? If your hdd is the issue then you could look into upgrading to a faster hdd or even an ssd.

My hard drive is a 750GB SATAII according to that newegg link.

As to solid state drives, I've always been very interested in getting one. I heard they make uploading screens in games pretty much instant. However, that isn't a huge deal to me. What I really care about is fluid multitasking, as I stated.

And I really wouldn't want to yank the current one out and install a new one anyway (unless I have to). I'm too worried I'd screw something up. Installing graphics cards and RAM memory is about the limit of my current computer building capability.

Last edited:
every thing looks fine. i have more processes running than that.
maybe the problem is that you expect everything to fly.
if you want everything to fly, you need an SSD instead of a standard harddrive (as strolling said).
those are expensive. not trying to be rude, but are you sure it is not just you that think it lags?
are you sure it is that PC you linked to that is your PC and not some other older model?

Last edited:
every thing looks fine. i have more processes running than that.
maybe the problem is that you expect everything to fly.
if you want everything to fly, you need an SSD instead of a standard harddrive.
those are expensive. not trying to be rude, but are you sure it is not just you that think it lags?
are you sure it is that PC you linked to that is your PC and not some other older model?

edit:
ohh. i didn't read strolling's post. he explained it just fine.

Well the thing is, most of the serious lag comes when I'm playing a video game. Like, if I'm trying to multitask while gaming, my FPS will plummet. So, I have to shut most of the background stuff off in order to play without lag. That's mostly what I want to fix. So, is it my graphics card I need to upgrade then? Or do I need a solid state drive?

And no, I'm not lying about the computer I'm using. It really is that one. Not that it's anything to brag about. And I don't think I'm being paranoid about my computer lagging. My friend's have newer, more expensive computers and everything pretty much works instantly (I have no idea if they're using solid state drives or not). And they can play games while still running a ton of stuff in the background without any lag. With my computer, there's always a little bit of lag when just clicking on programs. Sometimes quite a bit of lag if I've left my computer on for a while or downloaded a bunch of stuff. I usually just restart my computer to get it running relatively smoothly again. And when I first bought the computer, everything worked really smoothly. All of the computers I own tend to slow down more and more the longer I own them. When it gets really bad I just replace them.

Last edited:
As your always dl'in, you prob need to defrag your drive.

Defrag my hard drive, aye? Okay. I just googled how to do it and am going to try it. But before I do it, it won't remove any of my saved stuff though, right?

no it tidies up the drive and where the files are on the drive.

say x is one program, and y is another etc. your drive looks like this

xyxxhjsgywywhjkxjxfsfddwqexcczxccxdeesdxxcfradd

each part of the same program are separated so it slows performance as it has load then search, load then search.

after defragmentation it'll look more like this

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxcccccccccccccccccdddddddddddddsssssssssssssssaaa
aaaaaaaaaaqqqqqqqqqqqqwwww

each part of the program are put next to/closer to the other part.

so you will lose nothing. also you may want to run disc cleanup first.

Back
Top Bottom