How RAM can make a difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice article. Too bad it's not quite entirely correct.

Adding more RAM will NOT necessarily speed up your computer. It depends on whether the particular mix of applications you are running uses all of your existing physical RAM to the point where the system has to swap part of memory to disk. If you're running into that situation then adding more RAM will improve things, otherwise no.

Additional RAM will allow you to run more applications simultaneously but won't necessarily speed your system up.

My first system had 128K of RAM. I doubled that to 256K but the system didn't run any faster. It did make a difference as to which RAM hungry applications I could run or not.

Last edited:
I sure did :)

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Well if you upgrade your RAM you can make your computer run 64-bit instead of 32-bit and thereby have it run applications better :)

... Well if you upgrade your RAM you can make your computer run 64-bit instead of 32-bit and thereby have it run applications better :)
Another not-quite-true statement. How much RAM you have in the machine doesn't dictate whether you can run 32 or 64 bit (other than the minimum requirements of 1G for 32-bit vs 2G for 64-bit). The main reason most people go to 64-bit is because it can address more memory than a 32-bit machine. A 32-bit Win 7 machine can only address about 3.4G of RAM so, if you have 4G or more of RAM, you will need a 64-bit OS to be able to use all of it.

another not-quite-true statement. How much ram you have in the machine doesn't dictate whether you can run 32 or 64 bit (other than the minimum requirements of 1g for 32-bit vs 2g for 64-bit). The main reason most people go to 64-bit is because it can address more memory than a 32-bit machine. A 32-bit win 7 machine can only address about 3.4g of ram so, if you have 4g or more of ram, you will need a 64-bit os to be able to use all of it.

Correct! :D

The time it takes for the computer to open a program can depend on how much RAM your computer has. The more RAM you've got, the more memory can you store on it and thereby booting programs faster because it doesn't have to read it off the harddrive :)

PAE on a 32bit system can in a fashion make your OS '36' bit allowing you to utilise more memory anyway.

RAM is only useful to get if you don't have enough. That's it.

The time it takes for the computer to open a program can depend on how much RAM your computer has. The more RAM you've got, the more memory can you store on it and thereby booting programs faster because it doesn't have to read it off the harddrive :)

Only if you are storing those programs on a ram disk. With the speed modern computers have ram disks went the way of the dodo. IMHO the reasons for slow opening programs are many. Bad memory management. Too many programs running at one time. Slow cpu. Fragmented drive where the program is scattered out over the drive forcing the os to have to hunt for all the parts. And I could go on and on but I won't.
The savvy guys and gals here know the real reasons and have the where for all to manage the problems.
Oh and adding ram to a 32bit system will not allow you to run 64bit software. The cpu and system architecture are radically different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom