Random Chit Chat

I had no idea cars came with hidden replacement fuses and even a fuse pulling tool that is so cool. now we don't have to go buy the part. I'm going to check it out in the morning its too dark now

Last edited:
foothead said:
I was feeling bored earlier, so I gave this recipe a try. It's actually very close, but way saltier than it should be. I figure cut salt in half and it's about perfect.

If you were smart, flip a 4 year old laptop over. Run furmark on it, and cook on the laptop. ;]

Tell me you made it out of sheer curiosity and not because you're refusing to eat there? The whole shebang is really quite ridiculous.

Tell me you made it out of sheer curiosity and not because you're refusing to eat there? The whole shebang is really quite ridiculous.

Eh, I've been refusing to eat there for at least a year now. They donate a fairly large amount of their profits to anti-gay groups, so I can't in good conscience support them.

Man, if I boycotted everyone who supported discriminatory groups in one form or another, I'd have to move to a remote mountain-top somewhere and grow my own food.

But then, I would be guilty of discriminating against the whole freakin' world, wouldn't I?

Man, if I boycotted everyone who supported discriminatory groups in one form or another, I'd have to move to a remote mountain-top somewhere and grow my own food.

Eh. We're talking about a company that gives millions of dollars to organizations that exist solely to support discrimination, including at least one that's monitored as a hate group. This is far more egregious than pretty much any other company I can think of.

But then, I would be guilty of discriminating against the whole freakin' world, wouldn't I?

So not supporting discrimination is now the same as discrimination? You have every right to not use a company if you don't approve of their practices. Say you went into a shop and the owner/workers/whoever treated you poorly. You'd likely leave and start going somewhere else instead. That isn't discrimination.

I don't like giving my money to a company if a percentage of its profits go to hate groups. I don't see how that is unreasonable. You'd probably feel the same way if they were directly funding the KKK or any other other hate organization targeting a group that isn't still socially acceptable to discriminate against.

Last edited:
Eh. We're talking about a company that gives millions of dollars to organizations that exist solely to support discrimination, including at least one that's monitored as a hate group. This is far more egregious than pretty much any other company I can think of.

I can think of a couple. Disney, for instance. Go ahead and avoid them, particularly if you are a parent.

So not supporting discrimination is now the same as discrimination? You have every right to not use a company if you don't approve of their practices. Say you went into a shop and the owner/workers/whoever treated you poorly. You'd likely leave and start going somewhere else instead. That isn't discrimination.

I don't like giving my money to a company if a percentage of its profits go to hate groups. I don't see how that is unreasonable. You'd probably feel the same way if they were directly funding the KKK or any other other hate organization targeting a group that isn't still socially acceptable to discriminate against.

Well, I suppose it depends on what you consider a hate organization, now... Yes, the KKK was built purely on hate/discrimination.

What about the NAACP? They were organized initially to fight discrimination, and yet their methodology and such seem to be swinging things the other way, no?

How about Planned Parenthood, who discrimnate against unborn children purely on the basis that they are inconvenient at the moment (any communist plotting aside)?

Or the GOP, who seem to be intent on discriminating against anyone who is not white and disgustingly wealthy, or their perennial opponents, the DNC who discriminate against anyone who is rich?

See, there's where I have the problem-- everyone in this world holds a set of biases, and we each apply our personal biases every day.

I, personally, am very biased against people who act like idiots despite their capacity for better judgement. I also cannot stand armchair politicians who believe that there is a simple solution for everything that ails this world.

I am very anti-Apple only because Apple is so damned popular amongst the sheep, and I don't like Microsoft because they charge too much for their software for blue-coller workers such as myself to afford.

I am tired of hearing all this crap, from left, right, and extreme center, about how this group or that are just plain nasty and should be removed from existence based on their oepinions. I spent too much time acting as a target so that every single one of them, you included, can exercise their right to spout off anything and everything they can think of. You want to burn a flag? Go ahead. You want to say God hate fags? Whatever. Doesn't make it any more right or wrong than that other opinion that God doesn't even exist.

The great thing is, no one has to thank me for dedicating half my life toward defending the flag, Constitution and the President of the United States, whether I like him or her or not. I did it for my own probably nefarious reasons and I am happy to have been of service.

All I ask for the moment is that you people stop politicising every damn thing that comes along.

And if the moderators take exception to this post and decide to discriminate against me and my opinion, well, I am fine with that, too.

I've had my say.

Last edited:
Wow. I wasn't even trying to provoke a discussion, I was just posting a recipe I liked. Nevertheless, I'll keep this going unless it turns into ad hominem or the moderators object.

I can think of a couple. Disney, for instance. Go ahead and avoid them, particularly if you are a parent.

Care to explain? I couldn't find anything serious on Disney by googling. Historically they've done some pretty bad things, and there are still some questionable practices in place (e.g. lobbying copyright laws) but I didn't see anything too bad that's currently in place.

Well, I suppose it depends on what you consider a hate organization, now... Yes, the KKK was built purely on hate/discrimination.

What about the NAACP? They were organized initially to fight discrimination, and yet their methodology and such seem to be swinging things the other way, no?

How about Planned Parenthood, who discrimnate against unborn children purely on the basis that they are inconvenient at the moment (any communist plotting aside)?

Or the GOP, who seem to be intent on discriminating against anyone who is not white and disgustingly wealthy, or their perennial opponents, the DNC who discriminate against anyone who is rich?

Hate organizations are generally defined as groups whose existence is primarily to spread misinformation about a group in order to harm them in some way. Go look on the SPLC's website and you'll notice a distinct lack of major churches, political parties, etc. because the main purpose of these groups is something besides spreading hate.

Really this isn't at all about the "hate group" label though. You can look up what these organizations have done yourself. I have, and it's not good.

See, there's where I have the problem-- everyone in this world holds a set of biases, and we each apply our personal biases every day.

I, personally, am very biased against people who act like idiots despite their capacity for better judgement. I also cannot stand armchair politicians who believe that there is a simple solution for everything that ails this world.

I am very anti-Apple only because Apple is so damned popular amongst the sheep, and I don't like Microsoft because they charge too much for their software for blue-coller workers such as myself to afford.

Not really seeing what this has to do with your point, but yes I understand what you're saying.

I am tired of hearing all this crap, from left, right, and extreme center, about how this group or that are just plain nasty and should be removed from existence based on their oepinions. I spent too much time acting as a target so that every single one of them, you included, can exercise their right to spout off anything and everything they can think of. You want to burn a flag? Go ahead. You want to say God hate fags? Whatever. Doesn't make it any more right or wrong than that other opinion that God doesn't even exist.

This I agree with. However you seem to be caught up in the media's assertion that the boycott is merely about the founder's beliefs. It isn't, or at least, it isn't for me. I don't really give a damn what he believes so long as he isn't actively trying to impede the rights of others. That's the real issue here.

Also, nobody is saying that these groups should be forcibly removed from existence. I'm merely saying that I am not personally okay with contributing to chick fil a's profits, given that a percentage of them will go to groups working to take away my rights and the rights of others.

The great thing is, no one has to thank me for dedicating half my life toward defending the flag, Constitution and the President of the United States, whether I like him or her or not. I did it for my own probably nefarious reasons and I am happy to have been of service.

All I ask for the moment is that you people stop politicising every damn thing that comes along.

So what do you suggest we do instead? Let companies get away with whatever they want because disagreeing with their business practices would somehow be discriminating against them? You just stated that you dislike apple. I guess that means you have to start buying from them now.

And if the moderators take exception to this post and decide to discriminate against me and my opinion, well, I am fine with that, too.

I've had my say.

Please explain how this would be discrimination because I honestly have no clue.

wikipedia said:
Discrimination is the prejudicial treatment of an individual based on his or her membership - or perceived membership - in a certain group or category. It involves the group's initial reaction or interaction, influencing the individual's actual behavior towards the group or the group leader, restricting members of one group from opportunities that are available to a group, leading to the exclusion of the individual or entities based on logical or irrational decisionmaking.

You are on a privately run website. The moderators/admins have every right to remove any posts they like. You agreed to this when you signed up. If your posts get removed solely because the person removing them doesn't agree with your opinion, I would agree that it was out of line, but again they have the right to do this if they please. The main purpose of moderators is to deal with out of control arguments, remove spam, and deal with users who break the rules of the site.

Go back and read my posts before. All I am explaining is the reasoning behind my boycotting them. I never asked other people to join in, I was merely responding to another user's question. I figure people can make their own decisions about where their money goes. If you want to boycott them, great. If you want to go eat there more now, you still have every right to. I don't personally agree with that decision, but I'm not going to try to stop you.

By the way, you never did answer my question before. If they were donating money to the KKK instead of anti-gay groups, would you still thing people are out of line for wanting to boycott them? I know this may sound like a ridiculous analogy to some people, but it should hopefully convey how this feels to me. Actually, the KKK getting large sums money would probably be far less harmful than some of the organizations that actually are being donated to. White supremacists make up so little of the population that it wouldn't have any effect on laws. Being against gay marriage is still about an even split in the US, so large amounts of money being dumped into campaign efforts could actually sway things one way or another. I also recall the "family research council," one of the groups that received money, campaigning to completely outlaw homosexuality in countries where it's still more stigmatized than here. I don't really have enough information to know for sure whether it made a difference, but I doubt they'd have put their limited resources into it if there wasn't a good likelihood of success.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom