Building my first computer, need some help!

adderman500

Beta member
Hello there! I am a first time build of computers and I'm looking to make my own well... Computer!

I've got a list of parts together that all seem good and as far as I can tell work together, but thats where you guys come in.
I really need expert opinions here on whether what I'm trying to build with these parts will work, or just burst into a horrible ball of flame :D I'm particularly unsure about cables, I have no idea what I do and dont need - im a complete rookie to this. Dont assume that I have any cables even if they seem obvious because I have literally no idea :p

Anyways, here the list;
Processor: Intel Core i5 3450 3.1GHz Socket 1155 6MB Quad-Core
RAM: G-Skill 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ripjaws Memory Module CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V (Two of those)
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 560Ti OC 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics
CD-Drve: Samsung SH-222BB 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB BARRACUDA 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache
Monitor: BenQ G2222HDL 21.5" LED LCD DVI Monitor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Sound Card: Included in the motherboard
Case: Coolermaster Elite 330 Case With Coolermaster eXtreme Power 500W PSU
Cooling Unit: Included in the case
PSU: Included in the case
Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard and Optical Mouse

Well thats about it, I need to be able to connect to the internet and I have ethernet cables for that. (It will mainly be used as a gaming computer btw)

Thanks in advance for any answers or help I get!

Last note: I have a friend with a budget of about £100 more than me, is there any way I could improve this with that kind of money?

it will all fit together no problem.
don't worry about the cables, it will all be included with the hardware you buy.
if you can get a gtx 560ti non "OC" version for less money, then go with that.
overclocking is easy, and you can get a better overclock by doing it manually.

about your friend:
he could get better gaming performance by getting a gtx 570.
he could also spend the money on a better keyboard and mouse.
personally i would have gotten a better case that a can expand on when i get more money to spend.

Not sure if i agree with EchoNatek about getting better oc'in if you buy the standard one, as some companies change the fan's and gpu casing for better cooling, however you can over-clock the over-clocked cards for even better results.

Not sure if i agree with EchoNatek about getting better oc'in if you buy the standard one, as some companies change the fan's and gpu casing for better cooling

i can understand it when you put it like that. but i was talking about 2 identical cards where the OC version cost more.
i have seen examples where the OC version cost 30$ more with same cooler and PCB. it is just something to keep in mind.
i have actually also seen multiple times that the OC is cheaper for some reason. XD

however you can over-clock the over-clocked cards for even better results.

are you saying that a pre-overclocked card will overclock better then a stuck card? if so:
the GPU, PCB and power design are the same. only difference (other then higher frequencies) is that the volt is higher then stuck.
if you overclock the easy way by not bothering with the volt, you will get better result with an OC card.
but if you are using the volt control in your overclocking utility, it will be the same result.

are you saying that a pre-overclocked card will overclock better then a stuck card? if so:
the GPU, PCB and power design are the same. only difference (other then higher frequencies) is that the volt is higher then stuck.
if you overclock the easy way by not bothering with the volt, you will get better result with an OC card.
but if you are using the volt control in your overclocking utility, it will be the same result.

Sorry if i wasn't clear, I meant if they have changed the cooler. :whistling:

Just a small tip from someone who's built over 20 rigs, make sure that the PSU can handle the load, even under extenuating circumstances. A stabilizer wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom