Laptop Overheating?

ashpash21

In Runtime
So at the moment I have a Dell Inspirion 1525, I have had it for 3 years and 11 months and just lately it is getting VERY hot. I using core temp at the time. I was extracting a large (8.5GB) rar file with WinRar and the temprature was near to 100, could not beleave it, I gave it a minute to see if it would call back down but it wouldnt. The computer shut its self off when it got to 37 percent.
I thought there might of been a fault with the rar file so I copyed it to an external HD and copyed it to my computer. When I extracted it on my computer, nothing happend to the temprature.
Im not sure what temprature my laptop should be getting to, but im sure its not ment to get as high as it will turn itsself off.
Its a dual core pentium processor on windows 7 professioal. It could be the hard drive as it has a 7200RPM one in.
If any of you can give me ANY help at all it will be greatly appreciated.
Feal free to ask for any more detaisl

First of all, your laptop is very old, which means its not that good. So it is easily understandable that it would not work. I doubt getting a laptop cooler would solve the problem. If I were you, I'd just buy another laptop for 500 bucks or so. I heard the Sony Vaio was really good. My brother has one. And he said it was worth it. Other then buying a new one, it's not worth your time or money investing in such an old laptop.

It's pretty logical really, its working hard, it heats up, if its heating up a lot without cooling down, so cooling is therefore an issue.

4 years of use in rooms, surrounded by particles etc, dust, dust is sucked in, and some dust clings to the heatsink on the way out.

It probably just needs the heatsink/fan unblocking. DON'T USE COMPRESSED AIR OR BLOW INTO IT.

Get someone who knows what they're doing to open it up and clean it properly.

First of all, your laptop is very old, which means its not that good. So it is easily understandable that it would not work. I doubt getting a laptop cooler would solve the problem. If I were you, I'd just buy another laptop for 500 bucks or so. I heard the Sony Vaio was really good. My brother has one. And he said it was worth it. Other then buying a new one, it's not worth your time or money investing in such an old laptop.

Thanks for your response soursoup. I will have a look. Any ideas of what I should do with my current laptop? Before deciding I'm going to restore to factory settings then see what happens.

---------- Post added at 10:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

It's pretty logical really, its working hard, it heats up, if its heating up a lot without cooling down, so cooling is therefore an issue.

4 years of use in rooms, surrounded by particles etc, dust, dust is sucked in, and some dust clings to the heatsink on the way out.

It probably just needs the heatsink/fan unblocking. DON'T USE COMPRESSED AIR OR BLOW INTO IT.

Get someone who knows what they're doing to open it up and clean it properly.

Thanks for the response joedaman633. I would be quite happy to do that. But first I'm going to restore it to factory settings (Vista) and see what happens, and then I will decide. It's been used ALOT though.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

99 out of 100 times it'll be an issue physically, not on the software.

The component should be designed, that even at 100 percent usage it will not exceed a 'shutdown' temperature. Software can only make it go up to 100 percent usage, not higher, unless you have overclocked it.

99 out of 100 times it'll be an issue physically, not on the software.

The component should be designed, that even at 100 percent usage it will not exceed a 'shutdown' temperature. Software can only make it go up to 100 percent usage, not higher, unless you have overclocked it.

Thanks, I will give it a go anyway, do you have any idea what I should do with the laptop if it is still getting hot after I have cleaned it out and restored it? While I'm writing this post it is at 61-69 degrees.

If it's still hot after giving it a clean it's not really worth trying anything else unless you want to try these cooling pads with fans that you can put your machine on :\

If it's still hot after giving it a clean it's not really worth trying anything else unless you want to try these cooling pads with fans that you can put your machine on :\

Suppose so, it's not too hot doing the average stuff that a home computer should do (browsing the web and listening to music). But trying to play WoW on it or extracting VERY large files it will shoot up to temperatures near to 100 degrees.

I was quite lucky and found a youtube vid of how to take my laptop apart step by step as i was hitting 65c-72c on idle.

I cleaned out a load of dust and cat hair out around the fan and cleaned the cpu an gpu chip and put on new arctic 5 paste. Now im sitting here with a 3yr laptop with an idle temp of 45c in a room that is 23c. HUGE IMPROVEMENT lol

(AMD turion X2 2.0ghz, 4mb ddr2, 320gb 7200rpm)

As a last resort a hoover with a Antistatic Wrist Band: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics could get some gunk out the fan bay.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercury-Ant...8002/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343950204&sr=8-1

I was quite lucky and found a youtube vid of how to take my laptop apart step by step as i was hitting 65c-72c on idle.

I cleaned out a load of dust and cat hair out around the fan and cleaned the cpu an gpu chip and put on new arctic 5 paste. Now im sitting here with a 3yr laptop with an idle temp of 45c in a room that is 23c. HUGE IMPROVEMENT lol

(AMD turion X2 2.0ghz, 4mb ddr2, 320gb 7200rpm)

As a last resort a hoover with a Antistatic Wrist Band: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics could get some gunk out the fan bay.

Thanks ja6on, glad to find someone who had the same problem. The laptop was taken apart about 4-6 months ago to be re-housed. I might give it a go then.

Back
Top Bottom