What Hardrive to buy?

gridley1982

Solid State Member
Hello

My hardrive failed and after inspection i was told it had a physical fault and windows could not be re-installed after formating.

I want to install a new drive using my OEM windows 7 disk.

I dont know much about computer hardware so need some help. I want a fast reliable drive and have been told that a SSD would be best. Others have told me not all motherboards/bios are compliant with SSD's

my motherboard is M2N68-LA, if this compliant? if so what are the instructions to install a SSD?

Money is not too much of a problem i just want something fast and reliable.

If an SSD is not a option whats the best normal hardrive (again speed and reliability being the factor)

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Alright, so your motherboard can handle an SSD. It can handle an SSD, plus three other devices (DVDROM or two + second or third HDD). So the question really becomes, what you have installed on your drive. SSD's are getting more and more reliable (I got a quote on some today that had a 5 year warranty), but the better technology comes with a price. There are ways to make your SSD last much longer in Windows so it's not that much of an issue anymore.

Anyway, you should get an SSD. I have an 80GB in mine with Windows and Diablo 3 installed on the root drive and still have room to spare. If money is no option, get 120GB. Programs that are installed on the SSD are going to run extremely fast.

The second thing you should do is one of two things. First of all, don't trust anyone you paid money to give you accurate advice about needing new computer parts. You can most likely put the "bad" Hard drive in another machine, or in your current one once you get the SSD setup, and run a simple "chkdsk c: /r/f" to get it going. That goes over the drive and marks bad sectors as no longer usable, essentially making the good parts still able to used. Again though, if money is no option, get either a 500GB or 1TB drive and use that for storage of large files/movies/pictures/music/whatever.

As far as setting up the SSD... plug it in...done. It's seen as the exact same thing as your old HDD as far as your PC is concerned. Plug it in, boot to the Windows CD and install Windows. Then, plug in the old, or new, HDD and enjoy.

128GB SSD
Adapter so you can put the SSD in your PC case
1TB Data Drive

Walkthrough for your PC

No problem, I should revise my above post though. If you do a chkdsk on the 'bad' drive, the command is this:

chkdsk x: /f/r

where x is equal to the drive letter of the target ('bad') drive. If you run the one I posted originally, it's going to scan your SSD which is not needed.

So the IT guy at my office siad to get the OCZ vertex 3 or 4. After doing a bit of research it seems as though the lower capacity vertex drives have been restricted for price reasons. Nand issues i believe (sorry if i sound stupid but i dont know too much about these things)

I dont really need a 260GB SSD but if in the long run it will perform better and be more reliable then ill get it.

What do u think? Maybe another SSD suggestion?

Thanks Again

Back
Top Bottom