Another issue with my dad's acer (stuck at acer logo)

mikee

Fully Optimized
I have yet another issue with my dads acer computer. The power went out again but now the computer won't even boot it just sits at the acer logo and does nothing.

Occasionally it will boot is I hammer ctrl alt del rapidly but that's about it.

If I get it running it will restart just fine but as soon as the power goes out this happens all over again. I know how to get into windows by doing ctrl alt del at just the right time to make the computer post but my dad doesn't so he won't be able to start it.

My dad seems to think that if he takes the computer in under warranty they will just tell him to deal with it through a fire insurance claim since it is a power surge related issue.

I say turn it in under warranty and don't volunteer any information.

90% of the time the manufacturer will replair the unit with no hesitation.

I hope they don't discover what really caused it somehow though.

My dad bought a laptop from the same place a few years ago and his gf spilled a drink on it and destroyed it. I cleaned that computer thoroughly and they still somehow knew it was water damage

I hope they don't discover what really caused it somehow though.

My dad bought a laptop from the same place a few years ago and his gf spilled a drink on it and destroyed it. I cleaned that computer thoroughly and they still somehow knew it was water damage

Liquid intrusion damage is easily detectable when looking at a circuit board.

Even if they suspect lightning-damage (which can be obvious at times) they won't necessarily reject the warranty repair.

Well his land line phone died too so I told him don't take them both back at the same time or they will know for sure

I just realized I am stoooopid big time the reason this wasn't booting is that my dad had his digital camera plugged in the whole time somehow preventing it from booting. I didn't realize this until unplugging everything to take it in and hook up my old rig for my dad to use. As soon as I unplugged the camera the computer powered on randomly and booted. The ethernet jack is however still screwed Well basically a slightly better outlook but I am still going to take it in and see if that ethernet problem can be fixed

I have run into that problem many times when trying to install an operating system-- some USB devices just don't play well with device detection, but I haven't seen a device prevent a hard-drive boot in close to a decade...

Thanks for letting us know what you found!

its kind of weird since you need to click a button on the camera before it will actually show up as a drive. So I really don't know why it prevented the computer from booting

Back
Top Bottom