Creating a web browser

Scyere

Baseband Member
Is it possible for me to make my own web browser like firefox, explorer or chrome? If so then can you give me some ideas on how to do this?

It's a *mammoth* task to write one from scratch. By *from scratch* I mean writing the HTML / JS rendering engine, UI, interaction, video handling etc. all from scratch. Really, it's huge. There's a reason why those browsers have had many hundreds of people working on them for many years...

It's comparatively easy to take a HTML rendering engine and stick some sort of UI on it, but then you have to ask what you really gain from that?

I agree with berry120. IMO, your time is better used contributing to an open-source project that you agree with.

It's a *mammoth* task to write one from scratch. By *from scratch* I mean writing the HTML / JS rendering engine, UI, interaction, video handling etc. all from scratch. Really, it's huge. There's a reason why those browsers have had many hundreds of people working on them for many years...

It's comparatively easy to take a HTML rendering engine and stick some sort of UI on it, but then you have to ask what you really gain from that?
I understand that it would be balls-breakingly difficukt, and im not even saying I would try it ATM, I dont have enough experience for that.

I was just asking how I would go about this so that one day when I acually know what I'm doing then I can slowly start making my own and maybe have something failry good by the end of maybe the 2nd to 3rd year or so.

I was just asking how I would go about this so that one day when I acually know what I'm doing then I can slowly start making my own and maybe have something failry good by the end of maybe the 2nd to 3rd year or so.
If you write your own from scratch, you might end up with something half decent after perhaps 20 years, not 2-3...!

You could use Microsoft Visual Basic 2010, this is a free program.

It's not a free program, it's a programming language with free tools available for it. There are many other free ones available that would arguably be a better choice - indeed the vast majority of popular languages have an array of free development tools and compilers alongside them :)

I used to use Visual Basic to make web browsers but then I stopped. I just use either chrome or firefox now because the web browser tool in VB is acually just internet explorer without all the toolbars and plug-ins

Back
Top Bottom