DSL(Damn Small Linux)

Ordered a disc in a bundle of small linux distros and this one wouldn't load on either my HP or my Compaq now the HP has 4GB ddr3 ram the compaq 4GB ddr2 ram. The HP has a tripcore AMD processor the compaq has an intel celeron processor. Same error on both the seller sent me a second disc to see if the first was damaged, same error! My father in law had a old antique Trogon laptop running Win98 that was given to him DSL loaded right up 128MB ram and a AMD 3D processor literally among the first. So I dug out my external DVD burner and hooked it to my wifes Acer netbook with 1GB ddr2 ram and an intel Atom processor, DSL loaded up!!!!!
I had a stick of ddr2 ram laying around 1GB so i stuck it in my Compaq still DSL would not load!!! Can the processor and graphics card be too high a level for DSL to load??

By "won't load", what exactly do you see when it tries to load?

It's possible that it just doesn't support some aspect of your system - DSL is rather old, the last update was something in the region of 4 years ago.

Yes I have been fiddling with linux distributions a long time, some small distros have kernels that are only designed for mini portable pc's.

I have run into the same issue-- neither DSL nor Puppy, even, load reliably on newer machines. I am thinking it may be due to newer drive architechure (SATA) being implemented in most modern computers.

I have run into the same issue-- neither DSL nor Puppy, even, load reliably on newer machines. I am thinking it may be due to newer drive architechure (SATA) being implemented in most modern computers.

Possibly, a lot of the small pc's its used on use SD cards and in build memoery chip.
Also since its so old, Im guessing it was designed to be used with IDE not sata and all the new tech.

Possibly, a lot of the small pc's its used on use SD cards and in build memoery chip.
Also since its so old, Im guessing it was designed to be used with IDE not sata and all the new tech.

Yes, I've built a few devices using DSL or similar installed on an SD card and mounted via adapter to an EIDE port.

Back
Top Bottom