No signal from ethernet jack on dad's acer

mikee

Fully Optimized
We just had a very severe storm last night and the power went out and this morning my dad's computer refused to start it would freeze at the acer logo but I did manage to get that problem sorted. Now he cannot connect to the internet it says the cable is unplugged even though it isn't and there are no lights flashing on the ethernet port. I tried different cables different ports on the cable modem even another router all with the different cables just to be thorough and still nothing. Even my ubuntu 12.04 live dvd couldn't connect to the internet.

his whole office electronics setup us connected to a surge protector and it looks like a darn good one so I am stumped as to what to do now.

I hope this info is enough to allows you guys to help me out with is.

I'll try that but I tried 2 different ethernet cables tried my router and my dads cable box all turned up nothing. I'll try plugging my laptop in but I'm pretty sure the issue is with the computer

I've heard rumors that surges can travel through cat5/6 cable (which is why some surge protectors have inputs and outputs for them): but I can't confirm if that's just rumor or if it's true.

Something to try is to take out the battery and just hold the power button down for a while to make sure all the capacitors have discharged. There's a chance that it's just a build of of static electricity from electrical flux that built up and is interfering with the operation.

if that were the case wouldnt the modem be fried too as well as my wifi router?

about taking the battery out that would void the warranty if there still is one since this is a desktop and the only battery it has is the cmos battery and cracking open the case would void that warranty if it still is in warranty which I do not know. The computer was bought in november 2011

We will contact staples where the computer was bought and inquire about getting it fixed under warranty and if not I guess I'll just have to buy a 15$ pcie ethernet card but knowing my dad he'll go ahead and shell out hundreds of dollars for a new mobo and service without even consulting me.
He tends to do that but all he's doing is wasting way more money than he should

Last edited:
You'd think but every device has their own tolerances and who knows.

Ah this makes things easier as I thought we were working with a laptop. I'd be very surprised if opening the case voiced the warranty it's been a while since I've seen anything like that. So assuming you are willing/able to open the case un-plug the computer from the wall. With Open the case and put your finger on the back of the network port and hold the power button for 15 seconds. Plug everything back in and give it a shot.

I'll try that and see what happens. I guess it won't void the warranty if I don't break any stickers. I heard acer was really bad for putting those stickers everywhere.

I'm just now noticing the phone is dead too. Yes my dad still has a land line for the apartment to answer the door but that is now dead.

I tried unplugging and putting finger on back of ethernet port and push power button for 15 seconds. It still won't get a signal

Back
Top Bottom