Want Volume Icon On The Taskbar. How?

Frustrato

Baseband Member
When I went to my sound device properties and clicked "Show Volume Icon On Taskbar" I got the following error message. I'm using Windows XP Home.

Code:
Windows cannot display the Volume Control on the taskbar because the Volume Control program has not been installed.  To install it, user Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.
I've gone to the Add/Remove panel but can't decide what I have to do from here. I clicked on the Microsoft Windows Update but when I get to the page, can't work out where to go to find out what I need. What I don't understand, is if the volume control program is not installed, how come I can control the volume from this panel when I move the slider in there? It doesn't make any sense. I recently reformatted my hard drive and re-installed Windows but last time I installed it, I don't recall getting any issues like this. Please can anyone give me some advice?

Sounds like maybe you've got the wrong sound driver. Could you reinstall the driver or find another one?

Sounds like maybe you've got the wrong sound driver. Could you reinstall the driver or find another one?

Thanks. Which sound driver would that be? I have onboard sound, in the form of a Realtek device, which is attached to my motherboard. That seems to have a different set of properties and options to the ordinary Windows sounds settings, which I believe govern the settings for whatever Windows Wave compatible device one has installed. Everything seems to be working, except Windows won't seem to let me place the Volume Control on my taskbar, which I find really useful.

I'm not sure how I've got the wrong sound driver, when the one I installed was from my motherboard utilities disk. It's the one that came with it and the one I've always used. So I can't see why I would need another one. Sounds more to me like a Windows component has been missed out, somehow. I'm just not sure how to restore it.

Last edited:
RealTek does have their own software and volume control panel that they install which disables the default Windows one. You will have to find the RealTek software and enable the icon in the taskbar for yourself.

Go to realteks official website, try either the: AC'97 codec or REALTEK HD sound drivers.

---------- Post added at 09:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 AM ----------

Then after that (REF Post #5) open up the realtek control panel (Or similar) and enable the button.

Back
Top Bottom