Hiren's Boot CD

supermaltese

Solid State Member
Okay. Hiren's Boot CD 15.something on USB flashdrive, not working. I tried v.12 and 9 also with same results.

I get:

---------------------------------

Booting Hiren's BootCD
find --set-root /HBCD/menu.lst
Error 15: File Not Found
Press Any Key To Continue...

---------------------------------

So what am I doing wrong?

I can't boot to HDD because of passwords on OS.
I can't boot to CD/DVD because it's a Tablet PC and all boot devices except primary HDD are apparently disabled, and locked with a password...I picked this up for $15 at a thrift store...

Any ideas?

Try using something like OPHcrack. Either that or just use GParted to format the drive and reinstall Windows on the system.

Yup. Tried that too. The PC skips it completely. It doesn't acknowledge it even exists. I can't get into the BIOS to enable USB boot device. I'll save my money and buy a replacement HDD. That may work, since the new HDD won't have an OS. I was able to get it to boot to KonBoot, and DSL when I removed the HDD, but I don't know how to use a BIOS crack utility in Linux.

Yahoo!! I got it! I had already put it in the closet, when I decided it wouldn't hurt to take it apart. I mean, take it all the way apart. I've taken apart laptops before, not a lot of them. Maybe 10...and I figured the odds were stacked against me that I'd be able to find a jumper to reset the BIOS pwd, or even find the BIOS battery; but, I did. In this particular Tablet PC there's a BIOS battery, which is soldered and not removable, and a detachable battery that reminds me of something I'd find in an R/C car...a small R/C car.

I just finished putting it back together, leaving the HDD out, then crossing my fingures, I turned it on, and VOULA, it said there was a device error and it let me enter BIOS SETUP without prompting for a password!

Now, on to the easy parts, cracking the OS passwords! Ha! Where there's a will, there's a way!

I'm currently using KonBoot for the first time. Pretty cool stuff. Admin access without knowing pwd, or having to reset it first. I could use this on anyone's computer and they would never know I was there...lol...but I don't do that sort of crap.

Back
Top Bottom