Which of these 3 similar laptops should I get?

vegeta18

Solid State Member
I have been looking at a lot of laptops recently, I want a laptop that can last through 4 years of college, asus seemed most reliable to me, and I currently use an Asus Eee PC and it is still in perfect condition. So while searching I narrowed the laptop I want down to these 3. Which one of these is the overall bes laptop tot buy, while considering the price. (have no problems with 700$, 900 is pushing it a little, but still do able if its really worth it)

Here are the 3 ive been looking at

ASUS A53SD-TS71($700) *note* wanted this one originally, only thing that worries me is the screen resolution.
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1753822&CatId=4938

ASUS N53SM-AS51($780)*leaning towards the most, good decision? seems to be decent price with screen resolution wanted i5 core though, i hardly know what that means, should it still be okay?*
http://www.amazon.com/N53SM-AS51-15...luminum/dp/tech-data/B007MW73A4/ref=de_a_smtd

ASUS N53SV DH51($940)*more expensive than I was hoping for, but if its really worth it I may be able to get it still.*
http://www.amazon.com/N53SV-DH51-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Aluminum/dp/B005PAK1Y0

So which one of these 3 is best to buy, considering price as well? Or is there a similar laptop i should get that would be best?

$700= can afford no problem,
$800= should still be okay
$900= its pushing it, may be hard to get but still possible
Over $1000= way too much money

Last edited:
The 2nd would be the best out of those options, but any reason why you've only chosen Asus laptops?
I've just had a look round amazon myself and gave found this, what do you think?

hmm i chose asus because I am really hoping the laptop will last 4 years, and I have just found asus to be the most reliable to me.

im thinking about getting the ASUS N53SM-AS51($780 one) now. Would you say the samsung one is better, and how come? also how is the screen resolution, i know it says hd display but 1366 x 768 seems kind of low to me. also I never bought anything from samsung, how reliable is it? and would it last 4 years? if i took good care of it.

Out of all of them the $700 one has the best CPU and graphics. You could do a lot with that one, even some gaming. Only drawback is it comes with a little less RAM out of the box.

The $780 one has a dual core 2.5GHz i5 with hyper-threading. The $700 has a quad core 2.2GHz i7 with hyper-threading. You have to decide what's more important, raw clockspeed or more threads.

The $780 one doesn't have any info on the graphics whereas the $700 one has a GT610M with 2GB of VRAM.

Personally, I would go with the $700 one. More bang for the buck.

for the $700 one, is 1366 x 768 a good enough screen resolution? That was the main thing I was scared of.

Also I shouldn't have much problem with the battery because I always fully take out the battery most days, and just use my laptop through the charger, unless I need it for school or something.

Last edited:
The $780 one doesn't have any info on the graphics whereas the $700 one has a GT610M with 2GB of VRAM.

The $780 one does have info on the GPU. If you look under product details>product features you'll see that it has a GT 630M 2GB.

Therefore I still think that the $780 laptop is the best

the $700 is actually $800 for me now that I looked at it, because I am canadian. I think im just going to stick with the $780 one now, it has free shipping as well.

EDIT: just found out another problem, amazon doesnt ship laptops to Canada apparently, I cant seem to find anywhere else I can buy the $780 one. ASUS N53SM-AS51 can anyone help?

Last edited:
or know of a similar laptop I can get in canada? dont really want the ASUS A53SD-TS71 for 862$ off tigerdirect.ca, and the one that was origianlly $780 i cant seem to find anywhere that ships to canada.

Back
Top Bottom