Help with custom pc

Well....i could just use some help. I am going to go with the MSI Z77 MOBO and the Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3570k processor, 2x4GB corsair vengance RAM. I have about $200 dolllars, and I still need a video card. I would like to play games like MW3, BF3, SC2. I would like the card to have 1-1.5 GB. Any recommendations?

Unless you want to buy second-hand, here are the cards I would suggest (and in this order) - GTX 560, HD 6870, GTX 460, HD 6850

This is my final build:

CPU- Intel i5 3570k Ivy Bridge
MOBO- MSI Z77
Video Card- GTX 560 1GB 256bit
Case- Corsair 550D
Hard Drive- Seagate 1TB 7200rpm
RAM- 2x4GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600
PSU- Corsair TX650

Do you guys see any conflicts or parts that I left out?

I've jus got a couple of things to say but other than that it looks great, especially for a first go.

1) Which MSI mobo is it?
2) Do you realise that you will also need a DVD drive and an OS?
3) Your CPU, the 3570k, is overclockable, but if you do decide to OC it at all make sure to get a good cooler for it, else it'll run quite hot
4) Just for curiosity's sake: is that PSU the modular or non-modular version?

i have that mobo an the oc genie overclocks my I5 3570k to 4.2mhz when needed currently with standard cpu cooler and temps under 75c full load. (need new case before i get new cooler, 212evo.)

could u stretch the gpu budget to $240?

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (11200-00-20G)

I really hope you meant 4.2GHz, else you're kinda doing it all wrong :)

However I do agree with the 7850, but only if you can afford it, else the 560 will be fine

Just to clarify, the the PCI system is backwards compatible?? So I could run that 7850 on my MOBO, even though it only has PCI 2.0? One last thing. For MOBO's I understand the socket for the processor. However someone said that the Z77 series went well with my CPU. Why would a Z77 run better then a P67 with my CPU?

Last edited:
Yes, you would be able to run a 7850. Once the 3570k is in, those pci-e 2.0 will then become pci-e 3.0 enabled.

As for the chipsets check this link. As you can see the Z77 chipset was designed with IB in mind, and thus supports USB 3.0 natively (along with some other minor details), whereas the P67 was designed for SB. Plus the Z77 allows you to OC you're GPU

Wait so I would not be able to overclock with the P67????? I thought I could over clock with any MOBO as long as the socket was compatible with the CPU. And is that wikipedia in england? :O haha it just looks different.

Back
Top Bottom