Buying a new PC, would like some advice!

Loop Marine

Solid State Member
My PC is 2 years old, and I'm looking to replace it very soon, and I won't miss it!

I've found some deals online, but don't really want to spend anything until I know I'm buying something that will really make a difference. I would be very grateful if you could give me some advice.

I'm having a few performance shortcomings with my current PC. Firstly, I take a lot of RAW camera shots, and each image takes upwards of 2 seconds to load the preview. This gets frustrating when I have 300 or 400 to look through. Photoshop in general is quite cumbersome unless I'm just using JPG. I'm about to go off to UNI to do photography so I'd like to be time- efficient.

I can run games quite contently after a lot of tweaking, but I'd like games like Skyrim to run a lot more smoothly, and on higher settings. As games progress, I find that I'm turning settings further down.

These are my current specs.

Graphics Card: ATI RADEON HD 4800 series (4850 I think)
RAM: 4GB
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 245 Processor (2CPUs) ~2.9GHz
HARD DRIVE: 500GB

My budget is about £600 ($937). I've looked at custom PCs and this is the best one I could find for the money. (arbico.co.uk, £609/ $951)

Graphics Card: Overclocked ATI HD 7850 2GB
RAM: 8GB
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 (AM3, 3.00GHz, 6MB Cache)
HARD DRIVE: 1000GB

There are lots of options to choose from on the site, but was wondering if this was a good set up? Should I be looking for different brands or models? As I said, the main things I want to be able to do faster are Photoshop/ photo management and gaming.

Thanks for the help!

What motherboard is it? Is their a link you could give us?
An SSD would help but I also think the ram would help especially the higher speed ram

Back
Top Bottom