Cable Modem Question?

KittyMouse

Beta member
I am not sure if this is in the right place?

I have this modem: Motorola 5b 5100

It is currently hooked up to my desktop computer via ethernet cable...Do I need to unplug the desktop or is it possible to hook up a laptop too? I see that there is a usb port (on the modem) that is not currently being utilized...would this work to leave the desktop connected and connect the laptop via usb cable?

Another question....Is it possible to get a virus from hooking up the laptop to the modem? Or, Can a virus/infection of some sort transfer from the desktop to the laptop if they are both hooked up to the same modem?

I am a bit of a worry wort when it comes to viruses...I am starting a photography website and want to share photos...I worry about spreading viruses to others so I want to be sure that my laptop is clean .

Any help is greatly appreciated!

You can connect a cable modem to a computer using either USB or ethernet, not both. You would want to get a wireless router to share your internet connection between your desktop and laptop.

Another question....Is it possible to get a virus from hooking up the laptop to the modem? Or, Can a virus/infection of some sort transfer from the desktop to the laptop if they are both hooked up to the same modem?

Yes and no. You won't get a virus just by hooking the modem up. If you download something that you shouldn't, you could get a virus. It is possible for a virus to propagate over a home network although it isn't likely. As long as you have good virus protection and use common sense when on the internet, you shouldn't have a problem.

You can connect a cable modem to a computer using either USB or ethernet, not both. You would want to get a wireless router to share your internet connection between your desktop and laptop.

Yes and no. You won't get a virus just by hooking the modem up. If you download something that you shouldn't, you could get a virus. It is possible for a virus to propagate over a home network although it isn't likely. As long as you have good virus protection and use common sense when on the internet, you shouldn't have a problem.

Right now, there is a wireless router hooked up...After I use my laptop (hooked up to the modem), I would like to hook the ethernet back up for the desktop...would it be difficult to hook back up (or do I have to redo all of the wireless settings) when I go to plug it back in? Sorry for all of the questions :) And thank you for your assistance

The wireless router should be connected to the modem.

Does the laptop have wireless? It should if it was made in the past 8 years.

The wireless router should be connected to the modem.

Does the laptop have wireless? It should if it was made in the past 8 years.

Thank you for your assistance! Well, I do have wireless on my laptop, however, I was concerned about getting an infection from the sites another user visits (the router is connected to our main desktop, and a family member's laptop and I share the wireless -- it is password protected) I don't want to get anything from the desktop or the other laptop on mine.

My laptop is currently wiped clean to original factory state...I have not connected to the internet on it since...I intend to download Microsoft Security Essentials, but I must connect to the internet to do so...

You input is greatly appreciated because I am kind of at a standstill of what to do right now...

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 AM ----------

If I run virus scans on the desktop and other user's laptop and shut both of them down, would I be safe to do this (or is it possible to get something from within the router itself?) Sorry again for all of the questions, I just want to be safe and make sure that the website I am making is safe for other users :)

I have never seen a virus on the router itself. You shouldn't have an issue with proper antivirus and good practice.

Thank you! So, Do u think that would be okay? To scan the other 2 computers and shut them down while I connect on mine? :)

Back
Top Bottom