Building a Computer?

davda

Beta member
I have an old piece of junk in my basement and I am thinking about doing 3 things.

1. Buying a new computer

2. Building a new computer

3. Upgrading my computer

I want my new computer to be able to play starcraft 2 on medium graphics and I also want it to be able to play the Elder Scrolls Online which is coming out soon. I am only fourteen so I don't have much money. However I also have no experience with computer hardware. What should I do in this situation?

Got a couple of questions;

How much exactly is you're budget going to be?
What resolution will you be playing at?
Do you have anything already? (e.g. Monitor, OS, HDD...)
Are you going to buy from anywhere specifically? (e.g. Amazon, Scan, Ebuyer...)

I'm not sure whether you just want to buy/build a computer, or rather pick up some computing knowledge, but if you do want to learn more, I'd recommend you sign up to a couple of computer forums and just read new posts/threads - you'll learn a lot that way.

Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Budget: $400

Resolution: 800x600 should do

Where I wil buy items: Probably NewEgg

Items I already have: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Junk Computer

I am thinking about just upgrading the video card, ram, and power supply. Will this help?

My current video card is a x165 pro pcie 512M. Is that bad?

Upgrading just the video card, RAM and PSU may work, but it depends on what CPU you have. Also what RAM, PSU, and motherboard do you have at the moment?

Upgrading just the video card, RAM and PSU may work, but it depends on what CPU you have. Also what RAM, PSU, and motherboard do you have at the moment?

How do I find out what kind of RAM PSU CPU and Motherboard I have?

You can look through the control panel and find system info, or of course you could just look inside your computer. Perhaps their are some stickers on the front, if there are what do they say?

Edit - I think there's also a program called System Info for Windows. Might be worth checking that out

Last edited:
Right.

You should be able to get this information by right clicking on 'My Computer' and clicking 'properties'

Processor - Type and Speed
RAM - Amount

From this I can probably get the mobo type, I already know it must have pcie x16

if you rip out your old HDD and optical drive and chuck it in this heres a build just over $400 from new egg
MSI 970A-G46 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card (11192-22-20G)
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4100WMGUSBX
COOLER MASTER V6 GT RR-V6GT-22PK-R1 120mm DynaLoop CPU Cooler w/ Universal bracket & Dual Fan
so yeah thats about 420 from new egg
but i would double check to make sure everything it compatible,
but that should play any game probably on high.

Back
Top Bottom