Emergancy! Please help

tv_nerd

Beta member
Ok, i was helping my uncle on the computer, he has recently broken up with his partner however she was a real computer nerd. She had said a few things to him which made him think she was hacking his email account, so we changed the password and made a fake website and put a statcounter on it. We checked it for a few days and then there was a hit, (we were using the statcounter service) the referring link was from the email service online and the IP that had looked at the site matched her IP address. We now know she is hacking his account, but how? We changed the password and have AVG. How is she in the computer? Any ideas?

Cheers
David

It's hard to say for certain, but this isn't something we probably can go into much detail with on this forum. Hacking is illegal and you could get the cops involved.

She may have a keylogger on the computer or some other virus. Maybe save all the data on the computer to an external source and reload it. Or try running Malwarebyte (though I don't know if it will find anything either).

Hi tv_nerd

Check your email settings and look at the address that your account uses for lost passwords (the backup email address most providers ask for, to which they send the “reset your password” link). A hacker could have put there address in there, which would enable them to retake your account, even if you change your password. Also you could contact the provider and as jmacavali says the law.

Thanks for your replies! :) I also thought a keylogger jmacavali but i just can't find it!!! I will try the program you recommended. Thanks also wild cat, but i have checked all the email settings, i think my uncle is getting the police involved but the only problem is they have more important things to be doing and i am sure they would handle the situation with care and sort it out, but i just want to know how she's doing it! :mad:

Cheers
David

Have you (your uncle) thought about just asking her? I don't know if they are on speaking terms or what the situation is, but maybe if she knows you guys know, she'll stop (or if she knows you are taking it serious and contacting authorities).

i ran an AVG search and found a trojan.... could this be it? What exactly is a trojan?

It's a type of virus. It may or may not but remove it either way. Malwarebytes is free from cnet (google "cnet malwarebytes" to find the link).

Back
Top Bottom