Need Help With Ubuntu 12.04

Frustrato

Baseband Member
Hi, please can anyone advise me on the installation of Ubuntu 12.04?

I have tried doing the install from inside windows, according to instructions I found in a video on Youtube. Looked pretty simple... but at first, I had to reboot my computer a couple of times to get it going. Finally I got through to the Ubuntu desktop and it's slow to the point of being completely useless. I have to click on anything several times to get a response and the updater just hangs there, doing nothing. There is something like 10 or 12 seconds between clicking and a simple window opening. It's terrible.

Do I need to keep the disc I burned in the CD drive for it to work properly in this type of installation?

It's my first time with any Linux distro and it's not looking too good so far. I wonder if I could get some help on this, it's driving me mad.

Any help and advice would be highly appreciated Thank you.

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

One other thing. I made sure I downloaded the 32 bit version. When I look up system properties in Ubunto, it says 64bit. I don't understand this.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

I downloaded from here: Desktop | Ubuntu and went for the download link at the top. Now I have just noticed the one which says "Windows Installer". When I click on this and look at the file to be saved, it says "wubi". Looking inside the folder I originally downloaded to, I find the file "wubi" to be already there. So what's the difference with these two downloads? Have I done something wrong or not?

Are you running 64 bit or 32 bit windows? If you used the wubi (windows installer), then ake sure that if your windows is 64 bit, the ubuntu version is 64 bit etc.

OR:

Burn the .iso file to disc

Boot PC from the disc

Install or try Ubuntu

Bear in mind Ubuntu 12 is pretty slow anyway if I'm honest, Window 7 runs better than the pile of crap that Ubuntu 12 is :)

Ubuntu 11 however is a different matter, fantastic operating system.

No, after the problems I've had in the past, I refuse to spend that much money on another Windows product. So no Windows 7 for me.

That out of the way, please can you back up your statement about Ubuntu 12 with some examples, please? Saying it's 'crap' might be true (I have no idea) but without a testimonial, I only have your word for it. For all I know, it might be that it's not to your personal taste. I hope you understand.

So how is 11 better than 12?

11 feels far faster

Imagine you have a PC with 512MB RAM, you run XP Service Pack 3 on it. Okay, not the fastest in the world, but it's not bad, you can surf the web.

Now install Windows Vista on that same PC, it'll run as slow as a on legged turtle against a 50MPH headwind.

Same principle with Ubuntu 12 and 11. 11 runs like a dream on a netbook for example, whereas Ubuntu 12 runs like a one legged turtle.

Whats the spec of your machine?

I'm running single core AMD Athlon 64 988 MHz / 2 GB RAM / 320GB HD. Not a new system though fairly good for it's day. It works fast enough for what I want. I've managed to install Ubuntu 12.04 and I like it a lot so far. Hard to tell without anything to compare it with but I suppose it could be faster. I'll look into this and see what else I can find. Thanks for the info.

Your problem is installing inside windows, I was lucky and got a laptop (hp dv6 with triple-core amd processor) that had a fried harddrive so I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and it runs so fast it's crazy. I also dualboot it has Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon as well but absolutly no Windows!

I will have to disagree with Joe.

In my experience, at any rate, Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit runs just as well as Windows 7 64-bit, and better than Vista.

I dual-boot Win 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 on an HP G72 laptop, but rarely boot to Windows.

I agree with HP_on_Linux that your problem is likely due to wubi; a native install would work better, and there are plenty of tutorials for installing Ubuntu alongside Windows, if that is waht you want to do (may be a good idea-- at least then you would have a familiar OS to fall back on if/when you run into problems).

Back
Top Bottom