How to retrieve Operating System

DRIFT-O-MATIC

Beta member
My hard drive crashed. It is in a Compaq Presario SR2150NX PC running Windows Vista Home, which was pre-installed. I don't have any installation disks; but I do have the sticker still on the side of the computer that has the Product Key. The drive won't even start. It's totally dead. If I buy a new hard drive and install it in the machine, will I be able to obtain a replacement software disk from Microsoft for the Vista Home operating system free of charge + shipping, of course, since it was a genuine copy of Vista? I still have the original purchase receipts for the computer, showing the serial number, etc. Sorry, I am not very computer savvy, and don't know how all this stuff works. I sure would appreciate any help in retrieving my Vista.

You might be able to use any install disk and just use your product key. I don't believe that the product key is tied to a specific disk.

Steps:

1. Buy new Harddrive
2. Burn a disc of Vista Home, it's free to download
3. Run the installation, enter your product key
4. Download the drivers from Compaq Presario SR2100 Desktop PC series -  Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center
5. Download Service Pack 1 from THIS link, run the installer
6. Download Service Pack 2 from THIS link, run the installer
7. Proceed as you would normally, install programs etc
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30
If you think vista home is free then provide the link, otherwise you will be paying for another disk.

Unless you just have to have windows, there are free opensource operating systems try Ubuntu linux or linux mint
You can google them I'm not sure if they are .com or .org web addresses I'll check real quick

Back
Top Bottom