You are subscribed to this thread Compaq Presario Won't Connect to Router

Yipyioh

Beta member
YES this is the same thread as in the Secutiry/Hacking section. I accidentally posted there and have no idea how to necro it on this site. Sorry mods!

I'm attempting to fix a family member's laptop, which has inexplicably lost the ability to connect to our house's internet router. The laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ60 and the router is a standard Netgear router. It's no problem with the OS, I recently upgraded it to Windows 7 and it has no trouble connecting via ethernet. When I attempt to connect wirelessly it registers the router being present and our neighbors' but it simply stays locked in the "Connecting" phase. Windows troubleshooting has never helped me and all it tells me to do is turn it off and back on again anyways. Any ideas?

Do you have the latest / correct drivers for your wireless card? Have you confirmed that your security password/passphrase is correct? Are you using the correct security setting (WEP, WPA, WPA2 ?). Does your router issue DHCP? If so, is your wireless card set to obtain IP automatically, or does it have a static IP configured? If it does have a static IP configured, I'd be willing to bet it's not within the router's IP range/subnet.

If the above has been confirmed, I'd then check to see if the router has settings in it where maybe it's been configured for MAC Filtering (where the router only allows machines with specific MAC addresses) or if DHCP only issues a limited amount of IP addresses (5 instead of 100 addresses).

Good luck.

It is maybe a problem when you installed the OS unfortunately. Can you ping any other devices on the network such as the Default Gateway or any of the neighbours you mentioned?

Back
Top Bottom