Babylon toolbar virus help please

joeteds

Solid State Member
Hello all
I have a really annoying issue and have tried everything with no joy.
I installed a pdf reader form the adobe site earlier which has also installed a "babylon" search toolbar.
Now every time I open up google chrome I always get a babylon tab next to the google tab.I have uninstalled everything babylon from 'control panel-uninstall program' (which has got rid of the tool bar but not the tab every time I open chrome), I went into 'internet options' and changed the homepage from babylon back to google, I have gone into the chrome settings and tools and removed everything babylon, I have gone into reg edit and deleted everything babylon and the last thing I tried was a system restore to 4 days ago and it is still there and annoying the life out of me.
Can anyone pleeeeaaase help me.
Thanks in advance
Joe

Use HijackThis to remove it.

Be sure to analyse the logs before you use "Fix". Do not remove what you don't know, you could render your computer useless.

In your case, you should only need to "Fix" Babylon-related items.

Use HijackThis to remove it.

Be sure to analyse the logs before you use "Fix". Do not remove what you don't know, you could render your computer useless.

In your case, you should only need to "Fix" Babylon-related items.

Thanks Dale
Sorry for delay Ive been away.Ive just done hijack this and there is no sign of any babylon related stuff, pulling my hair out.

If it's a virus run an Antivirus scan.

Make a new user account, install AVG on it, run the scan on the whole harddrive, quarantine/remove/disinfect as needed.

If that fails to work, run something like spybot or Malwarebytes AntiMalware on your new account.

Thanks Dale
Sorry for delay Ive been away.Ive just done hijack this and there is no sign of any babylon related stuff, pulling my hair out.
Please paste items that begin with R and O (for example, O4 and O8).

I honestly wouldn't bother creating a new user account and installing an antivirus on that account. My experience is that at this stage that does almost nothing in terms of getting your computer back to normal; more usable yes, but not normal.

In addition to the information Dale has asked for, I would do a google search for combofix. One of the first results should be to a tutorial form bleepingcomputer.com which will tell you how the program works and link you to a legitimate download of the program. That's been my ace in the hole for a long time and it's never let me down.

Celegorm, thats why you actually use the Antivirus to wipe the virus, not just leave it sitting there.

After that, yea, delete the account you just created, do whatever you like with it :p

Again Joe, in my experience that does almost nothing at this point. I've found that it doesn't detect many of the infections and when it does it's not the one causing the mess. You might have had different luck, but after my years in the field I've found that installing any new anti-virus after the fact to be a very big waste of time if the infection is this bad, new account or not.

Back
Top Bottom