Dell Dimension 3000 Won't Power Up (Amber Power Light)

Jake22

Baseband Member
I have a Dell Dimension 3000 that won't turn on. Everytime I hit the power button I get a blinking amber light and I get nothing. I also see that the light on the motherboard is green. I tried changing out the power supply and it still won't start and I get the amber light again. Does anyone know how to fix this??? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
try make sure these situations are correct....

If the power light is blinking amber, the computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.

Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable).

Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board.

i read that it could be a bad PSU, have you tried taking out the PSU and plug it into the wall and jumpping the green wire to a black wire on the 24-pin motherboard connector to see if it powers up?

I did that, and the power supply turns on just like it should. I also checked the voltage on it and I get 5 volts on the 24-pin connector. But I still can't get the computer to start up.

Last edited:
have you tried replacing the CMOS battery? I know on some computer (NOT ALL) if the CMOS battery is dead that it wont boot. So try that and then back with me.

I replaced the old CMOS battery with a new one I just bought at the store today. It's still a no-go.

Last edited:
I'd try taking out all your RAM (and video card if there is one) and simply re-seating them. I've seen errors like this caused by a spec of dust on the connection countless times.

Back
Top Bottom