Need help with computer upgrade

Dazejay

Beta member
Hello, I'm new to the forums. I need some help with a bit of information, I'm trying to upgrade my computer so it can run games like Call Of Duty,etc. Now the problem is i dont know very much about computers and my current pc is kind of old(2004) so I dont know if it would even be possible to upgrade.If any of you could help me or suggest things to buy to help me run games it would be appreciated. Ill list some specs of my PC, please tell me if you need more info

Computer:Compaq Presario SR1000
Processor: AMD Sempron(tm)Processor 3400+,MMX,3DNow,~2.0GHz
702mb of RAM
Graphics:ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series

I'm trying to upgrade my graphics card to EVGA Geforce GTX 550 Ti, will that be possible with my computer i've heard that you need a big power supply and I also have a PCIx1. Will the graphics card be able to run games, or do I need to update other things too? Please tell me if you need more info

First of all, is the amount of RAM you posted the RAM for your video card or your PC? Because of that is the total RAM of your PC you won't be able to run anything with that amount of RAM, so you'll need to upgrade that too if you plan on gaming. Or doing anything WELL for that matter.

Secondly, since you listed down a graphics chipset in your computer specifications, it has lead me to believe that your computer originally did not come with a graphics card. Therefore you would need to change your power supply to something A LOT more powerful if you are going to upgrade from that mere chipset to an nvidia 550 Ti.

Thirdly, you also need to upgrade your cooling system if you are going to upgrade your graphics card.

Fourthly, if you're going to upgrade your pc, get to upgrading the CPU too. That one you got there is a little slow.

And lastly, you will need to check the compatibility between the motherboard you have and the graphics card you are about to install because i think that 550 Ti needs a PCIE slot instead of a PCI slot. Ask around on the forums.

Last edited:
Joedaman is actually right. Buying a whole new machine would probably cost just a little more but is a lot more cost efficient since if you would want to game on your current pc, you would have to change the whole motherboard itself to make it any decent.

Back
Top Bottom