Installing new processor problem

Tudor

Solid State Member
Hi guys :) So i got an AMD 2800+ processor, very cheap, so i could upgrade from the AMD 1800+ i had until now.(on a socket A mobo - the compatibility is OK, i checked and double checked before buying) I didn't really new what were the steps to install a new proc., so i just pulled out the old one, placed the new one in, applied thermal paste and all that fun stuff, and then tried to start the PC. The thing is that nothing happened. That green light didn't flash once, the PC didn't boot. A friend of mine suggested i should pull out the mobo battery, start the PC with the new processor in and let it run for a few moments, then shut it down, place the battery back in and see if it boots. Again, nothing happened. What am i doing wrong ? Is the processor i bought faulty ? What should i try doing in order to make it work ?

First of all, try the old processor to make sure it still works and that the problem lies solely with the new processor.
Also, where did you get the processor? Online? From a friend? Brand new or second hand?

The older Socket A boards weren't so straight forward when it comes to upgrading the processor. The board might need a BIOS update to use the new CPU or it could be downright incompatible.

can't seem to edit my post, the old processor link is -> AMD Athlon XP 1800+ - AX1800DMT3C :) So yeah...any ideas on what i should try, maybe so i can make the new proc. work, or make sure that it is or not faulty ? I don't think it's chipped and it doesn't have any missing pins

Well yes ... the fans spin, the red hard drive light stays on all the time, and the green light doesn't blink at all. I'll try what joe said(i presume i have to do that with the new processor in) and see what happens.

//Unfortunately most of my friends already have new PC's and i don't have the option of testing it on someone else's mobo

I did what joe said but it didn;t work . I called the guy from where i bought the processor from and he suggested i should try changing the CPU frequency settings from the jumpers. I did that and i somehow got it to work, but now instead of 2800+(2083 MHz) my mobo sees it as a Athlon XP 2200+(1.67 ghz) . I have this scheme to change the CPU Frequency but i can't make any sense of it :
VKQaD

Now i have the jumpers set like this(with the new processor in) ->
My8CF
and the guy that i talked with said it's because i don't have my jumpers set right, that the mobo doesn't see the processor as a Athlon XP 2800+.

Finally got it to work :) I put pins 3/4 ON and 1/2 removed the jumper. The processor is working fine now. I thought i had to combine those pins to get to 333mhz but then i read this
Actual bus frequency is 166 MHz. Because the processor uses Double Data Rate bus the effective bus speed is 333 MHz.
. Well at least i learn :) Thanks for the help guys. You may close the topic now.

Back
Top Bottom