Old pc upgrading

DreadLord

Beta member
I've a 5 yr old PC. Its a low level gaming pc.

Specs:
Amd dual core
2gb RAM
250 GB hard disk
nvidia geforce 8600 GT graphic card.
Via chipset

I play games like assassins creed series and hitman series.

Lately I have started playing some online games and been having some stability issues.

But Thats not important. The important thing is , I'm on a $150 budget.
I was thinking to upgrade the Ram to 4gb or insert in the second slot and gpu to some geforce 9000 series.
I need suggestions regarding 9000 series or ATI raedon cards (never used raedon before).
Also would like to know what XFS means.

I've been using a computers for the last 16 years but I'm not a hardware pro, I dun understand stuff sometimes. But my current pc has been the best I ever had.
I'm open to all sorts of suggestions. But the budget cannot exceed.

Last edited:
Hiya DreadLord

I would suggest going to your Motherboards manufacturers web site and finding out what GPU`s are compatible first, as to AMD/ATI or nVidia both camps make great cards (I prefer ATI, and before anyone says ... yes I know its AMD now but I like ATI :p )

If your not sure about the make of your Motherboard you can download a free app called SIW (system information for Windows) should tell you all you need to know.

XFS ... Extended File System (in Windows), or did you mean XFX as in ATI ?

if i where you i would save those money to buy a up-to-date computer.
in the mean time you should overclock that GPU.

if you really want to upgrade anything on that old computer, I would say use 50$ on a faster 4gig kit RAM from ebay (new condition).
then sell the old RAM and save up those money and the rest of the 100$ to buy a new computer.
lastly get some more juice out of that GPU by overclocking it a bit.

When buying a computer, DO NOT go through @ComputerGeeks! Lousy service, refurbished machines unreliable, don't know how to resolve issues.

When buying a computer, DO NOT go through @ComputerGeeks! Lousy service, refurbished machines unreliable, don't know how to resolve issues.

What the heck was that all about?

To the OP> The amount of ram you can have is dependant on the motherboard and the OS. Be wise to just save up and build another system. Plus the pride that goes with, " I did that! ".

Back
Top Bottom