Motherboard question

toshy1

Beta member
So I'm looking to upgrade my processor, I am currently running a Foxconn 2AB1 and I was looking at the ASUS M4A88T-M, I just want to make sure these two motherboards share similar ports, slots, etc so that it will be compatible with the hardware I currently have on the Foxconn.

Current Hardware - AMD Phenom II X4 820 CPU
Nvidia Geforce 560 GPU
Seagate ST31000528AS Hard Drive

Also, the reason for the change is bccode 124, I believe its caused by my motherboard because a while ago when I got my new case, the board fried on me, it miraculously started up again but I think its getting back to me, let me know if you think the motherboard isnt the problem though, the crash occurs during Skyrim, Arkham City, etc.

BSOD usually means Hardware incompatibility or Drivers problems and you mentioned your board was fried so best to replace if you have doubt.

All I can say download a manual of the board you intend to buy as it should have all the required info & pictures for you to look at & make your own decision.

Apart from subtle differences (4 vs. 6 SATA ports, 8 vs. 12 USB ports, etc.) the ASUS board should be fine. Your hardware will be compatible with the new board.

I like ASUS motherboards; they're generally reliable and offer some nice features. Here are two links comparing their specs:

ASUS: Foxconn 2AB1 Mainboard Specs
Foxconn: ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS M4A88T-M

As for the error and what the cause may be, it's a crapshoot. The fact that you get your error message during intensive gaming can signal heat issues, video card problems, or even memory problems (these are the most common problems to look into).

Have you tried any tests (Prime95 (Free Software - GIMPS), MemTest (Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool), etc.) on your rig? I'm not saying that the motherboard ISN'T the culprit, but the fact that your problems occur during graphic-intensive games can help us troubleshoot. It'd be worth looking into a few of these possibilities before pulling the trigger on a new upgrade.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for the reply Ghost, I'm going to go ahead and order the M4A88T-M

So I found 2 links, I cant believe the price difference from newegg and compusa...

Newegg - Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Compusa - CompUSA.com | M4A88T-M | ASUS M4A88T-M Motherboard

Just in case I'm just being stupid, please can you confirm these 2 are the same motherboard and the compusa one is not an upgraded version of the M4A88T-M, thanks for all the help, I appreciate it.

Hey Toshy,

Not sure if I'm missing something, but the NewEgg link shows the ASUS motherboard as "deactivated." Nevertheless, they're the same exact board.

Hal.dll hints at a hardware issue; like I stated previously, I'd really recommend you check out some of the tests and try to find the culprit. Your motherboard MAY be the issue, but the fact that it happens while you're gaming makes me think it's something else.

Ghost, I found something interesting... I ran a furmark test and my PC crashed again with bccode 124, I am now certain the problem 100% is my gpu, it seems to get above 100C according to CPUID Hardware Monitor, is there a way around buying a new card to fix this?

Back
Top Bottom