Hobby as work is great....right?

I work as a Tech Coordinator for a school. I spend all day dealing with technology. Here's my setup at home:

An old Wal-Mart bought Acer Desktop (probably 2006-ish), Single Core x64 AMD process, 3 GB ram, running Win7. Connected to a flat screen TV via HDMI cable from a 256 Gb Video Card.

No cable or DVR - only an antenna. I cancelled cable because it costs too much and there is too much junk on.

So all day I focus on technology and then go home and am totally anti-technology. I just spend all day working on computers that when I get home it's the last thing I want to do.

People always say if you can get paid to do your hobby then that's great. But if your hobby because your work, then it's not really a hobby any more and you will have to find a new hobby to fullfill your needs.

Sometimes I wonder if a hobby remains a hobby if you work for yourself and I suppose the answer is it depends.

I wanted to ask if you use a digital converter with that antenna?

Well, all my TV's have built in digital tuners so no. My house is wired so that all the cable connections in the house run down to the basement and connect to a switch panel, so I plug the atenna into that (after it runs through the booster that came with it) and then my whole house has cable. Works great.

No it's not great. For me anyway. I write fiction stories and work on my web site. If I did that for a living, it wouldn't be a hobby any more now would it?

Yes you can get paid to do a hobby, but it will not be hobby if you do it all the time...

A hobby is an interest done out side one's occupation for pleasure.....

I agree with this thread. For the year I was working with hardware my setup at home (hardware wise) was pretty pathetic. Now that i'm doing software/website work I've gone back into tinkering with things.

Regardless, I still enjoy my work quite a bit!

I spend most of my days configuring or upgrading computers at work, as well as working with cameras and other photography equipment. Although it's rare, sometimes I have those days when I get home where I want nothing to do with my computer or my iPad or anything, but most days, the first thing I do when I get home is get on my desktop or my laptop. On my days off, I spend as much time on my computer(s) as I can.

I think it is great do work as something which is your hobby. You don't see it as a 9-5 job but something you love and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom