Installing XP on Win7 Netbook

iProMelonz

Beta member
Been trying to install Windows XP on my Netbook which currently runs Windows 7 Starter, as it doesnt have a CD-DRIVE I am struggling, can anyone help?

Also I created a new Drive and named it D: so that I can have a dual boot and chose to run either Win7 or XP as personally I prefer XP, HELP NEEDED

I am not extremely smart with computers either as I am only 17 so if possible can we stick to easy language haha :p

Also I forgot to mention I do have an Activation Code though as I have the CD and a code on the CD, is there anyway of downloading an Un Activated version for free then I can use my code?

XP Discs are not legally free, you need to pay for them unfortunately, which is strange considering you can download Vista and 7 for free.

Try an external CD drive, a USB stick makes it a bit more complicated.

Theres also certain driver issues, which I am not really good at explaining unfortunately, so you'd have to ask someone else about that :(

As joedaman633 mentioned, there will be drivers issues. Before you attempt to install XP on that netbook, go to the mfr's website and see if they have XP drivers for it. If so, download them to a thumbdrive so you have them. If the mfr doesn't have XP drivers on their website, you may be out of luck. If you install XP without having drivers, some things may have reduced capability while others may not work at all. For instance, the built-in wifi or the touchpad for the netbook may not work at all unless you have the correct XP drivers.

I was also referring to the fact that netbooks (I'll simplify this a bit), have less options for you to change on the basic programming, so XP may not work with the newest type of HDD technology.

More complex: In the BIOS, on two netbooks in my house, I cannot change the compatibility of the BIOS to IDE instead of SATA mode. This means my XP installation keeps failing as XP does not strictly recognise SATA, it requires additional drivers before the installation, which you need to install by pressing F6 and loading the drivers with a floppy.

Back
Top Bottom