Why I think Macs are overhyped

The original premise that the thread seems to have strayed from was not "Which was better?" but - "Macs are over-hyped". I don't see how anyone can disagree with that statement with a straight face.

For instance, the statement that "Macs just work". Everyone knows this isn't true but it gets repeated ad nauseam.

Macs are very nice and reliable to use but most of the time you are paying for the name rather than the components in my opinion. But for video and photo editing they are very good machines.

personally i think apple is a premium brand, just like the £2 cookie example.

doesnt mean its any better or any worse than cheaper brands.

i think you are mostly paying for the "name". much like when you purchase an expensive pair of sunglasses. its all plastic at the end of the day, and some may be better quality than others, but you are mostly paying for the designer name and not the plastic.

so designer names in sunglasses might make you look cool, or seem rich, etc. with the apple "name" you know you are going to get a good customer service and a nice looking product. may not be as powerful as a laptop half the price, but sometimes its quality not quantity.

its all about preference though. if im buying a tin of beans then i personally go for a half decent brand as i can taste the difference and feel the increase in price is worth it. if im buying a pack of tissues ill go for the cheap ones, as they do the same job imo. it works the same when buying a computer. i spent £399 on my new laptop a few months back. i wanted to do some gaming, but couldnt justify spending another £100 or more just for the same kind of spec but with a good gpu. some people might be hardcore gamers and would rather spend an extra £100 or so on a good laptop gpu that £100+ on a ps3, then having to worry about where to put it, and getting a tv, etc.

personally id rather spend £399 on my spec of laptop than £700+ for a mac with the same spec. i cant justify spending an extra £300+ on a slightly better looking laptop / better customer service. i did in fact spend £150 on a 3 year warranty. i could drop my laptop out of a window, spill tea on it, or whatever and get it fixed. so even if the build quality may not match that of apples (it is still very well built) i can get it fixed for free anyway, and i much prefer windows.

just to add. i think this mainly applies to iphones, but before they were a premium tool, and something to be proud of. now every 17 yr old chav has one. i know many people who spent a fortune on one and simply use it for calls. whats the point?? if you are rich then maybe, but its just stupid.

with the apple "name" you know you are going to get a good customer service and a nice looking product. may not be as powerful as a laptop half the price, but sometimes its quality not quantity.

*cough* dell *cough*

anyways, this really shouldn't be an argument, you buy what you want,

the only real problem is when noobs who need a budget gaming computer look at an low end apple just because of the name.

Its like choosing between ford chevy and a mercedes. You want a nice budget car, you buy the ford or chevy.

But if you got the money, get the mercedes.

Not saying apples are bad for gaming, they've got steam and some damn nice windows emulation(at least on the ones I saw).

i think mac vs. pc threads are "overhyped" and should be thrown in the other pointless blackhole threads like forgotten passwords and ssd defraging.

Mac = overpriced Hardware ... (just my opinion)

Here is the really cute deal. They are now attaching the memory to the motherboard! How cool is that? They are basically saying there is no need to improve on our computers because they are perfect, so now we are not even going to give you the option to upgrade your computer any because we made it so perfectly!! :)

They are basically saying there is no need to improve on our computers because they are perfect, so now we are not even going to give you the option to upgrade your computer any because we made it so perfectly!! :)

Sure. Go ahead and believe that.

My reasoning is incorrect? What other reasoning is there? Why else would they not let people make changes to their system? A common example that comes to mind is Domino's Artisian Pizza's. Why won't they let people change them? They have even come out and said that the reason is because they have spent alot of time perfecting them and don't think they need to be changed at all. Apple may not have said this, but why else would they do it. I believe you will see many apple people, especially techies come to (or back to) PC.

Back
Top Bottom