Do you have a business that first started out as a hobby?

I use to.... Repairing computers but gave it away, too much competition at the time, but these days still thinking of getting back in it (part time) as there is not much businesses around these days doing repairs.

Curious thing about "competition." Some say to avoid it because the competition has the market locked up. Others will say to copy your competitors as much as possible because they already did the legwork for you. I say that competition is mostly an illusion and you should focus on your own business.

Overall I don't know the answer to this question. With big business, I would say the answer is a negative because they're often started by raising capital through venture capitalists, IPOs, mergers, etc. With small business which is the backbone here in the US, I don't know the answer offhand. So far with this thread, it appears that the answer is in the negative as only MMM has posted in the affirmative.

Last edited:
You go into business to make money, big money otherwise just work for some one as an employee.
No use taking on the head aches and worries overheads costs just to make a wage.... The ultimate goal is to get ahead in life.....
Yet again I know some friends who work for them selves as they hate having bosses telling them what to do.
There is number of reasons for starting a business, but I tried it for the passion of my hobby.

Back
Top Bottom