Power Supply and GPU

Ramborgia

Beta member
Hello

I want to upgrade my power supply, i have a HP Pavilion P6751 desktop
specs:

Motherboard: N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX
processor: AMD Phenom II x4 830 2.8 Ghz
current power supply: bestec atx-250-12z rev d7r (250W)

I want to upgrade my power supply so i can add a better video card, i am new to computers and i have several questions

1) I want to get a 750W power supply, will any power supply work (as long as it has the right wires) with my computer? and will a higher wattage damage the motherboard?
2) What are some good brands for power supplies?
3) Whats a good GPU for some casual gaming (ex: mw2 on medium settings)?

Thank you for taking the time to help me out, i really appreciate it

Ok with power supply the higher wattage should not damage your PC but you need to check the 12v rail this is because the graphics cards use this voltage so you want something above 25amps on the 12v rail preferably. if the 12v rail has low ampage you could burn out your graphics card and other hardware components. For a power supply i would recommend buying the cooler master GX-series 650w power supply as it produces 52amps on the 12v rail which is very good considering it only costs £75. As for a gpu for casual gaming i always and will always recommend the amd radeon hd 6850 as it is a very good gaming graphics card and you can pick them up for about £90. i hope this helps let me know what u decide to get

Hello

I want to upgrade my power supply, i have a HP Pavilion P6751 desktop
specs:

Motherboard: N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX
processor: AMD Phenom II x4 830 2.8 Ghz
current power supply: bestec atx-250-12z rev d7r (250W)

I want to upgrade my power supply so i can add a better video card, i am new to computers and i have several questions

1) I want to get a 750W power supply, will any power supply work (as long as it has the right wires) with my computer? and will a higher wattage damage the motherboard?
2) What are some good brands for power supplies?
3) Whats a good GPU for some casual gaming (ex: mw2 on medium settings)?

Thank you for taking the time to help me out, i really appreciate it
Cooler Master Power Supply Calculator - Standard

Don't use that PSU calculator, had I have followed it my PC would not be working.

Answers to questions

1: Yes any PSU should work (with correct wires), PC only draws the power it needs, so technically a higher wattage is better.
2. Any really, just look for a decent priced one that does what you want
3. GTX 550Ti, or GTX 560 if you want to spend a bit more.

In terms of PSU, the 560 will need about 36A on the 12V rail, the 550Ti will need 24A, get a decent 650 or something.

If you will use the bigger power supply, I think you must check it your motherboard to anticipate if your motherboard not support.

Back
Top Bottom