Where's the best place to find a programmer...

Are you getting paid by CNET to post this?

Seriously, we can view the website ourselves.

I'm sure you can and I'm sure that others are unaware, whether it be the website itself or the particular articles they run. I screen the articles carefully for their content and pick out those that may be of interest. For example, if a prospective employer were looking to hire someone, this article could be helpful.

Reactions: MMM
I don't buy that article. My area has many programming jobs that go unfilled. Hell, I had a job lined up developing 6 months before I graduated...

That article discusses it.. in the most boring way possible. Seriously, it's anything but a good, interesting read.

Also, what celegorm said.

I'm sorry you feel that way about the article. CNet consistently comes out on top when you do a search for technology news. It's also hard to find something to read that would be of interest to many, let alone everybody. I would say that about 90% of the top "news" on the internet is repeated, even CNet often repeats articles. But if that article, boring or otherwise, leads to someone finding a job, then it would have been worth it and everyone
here has the opportunity to do their own threads.

I'm sorry you feel that way about the article. CNet consistently comes out on top when you do a search for technology news.

Dude, I have to say what 01001010 did earlier - are you getting paid by CNET for this? I'm not saying CNET is crap, I'm saying that particular article you linked to is.

It's also hard to find something to read that would be of interest to many, let alone everybody.
The topic is of great interest to me, so I should be a prime candidate for loving the story. It just seems to be a confused guy reporting on something he keeps changing his mind about for neither rhyme nor reason - and like celegorm, I don't agree with the conclusion he came to either.

At present in the UK I've heard from several friends that they struggle to find *good* computing graduates to fill their roles. And I'm talking about well paid roles at big companies, not small startup jobs. At this point in time personally I think the market is much better than lots of people believe.

If I had the time, I'd break it down and show why it's almost textbook poor writing style, but I don't.

But if that article, boring or otherwise, leads to someone finding a job, then it would have been worth it
I'm pretty sure if anyone takes that as gospel, there will be at least 2 people that don't find the job they should have for every one person that does.

everyone
here has the opportunity to do their own threads.
They certainly do. That doesn't necessarily mean that all threads are good threads however, or that I agree with the content of all of them.

Dude, I have to say what 01001010 did earlier - are you getting paid by CNET for this? I'm not saying CNET is crap, I'm saying that particular article you linked to is.

^ This. You're title is "where is the best place to find a programmer" their's is "Why I had it all wrong about Boston's high-tech scene", but I didn't look at their title, I just assumed yours was right so i was quite disappointed when it only focused on the New England area.

Setbacks and confusion aside, Barry is right about the writing style as well. I don't even think it's up to CNET's standards. For someone who is in and loves the industry I found the article to be more boring than some of my old text books. It had nothing to do with the source, but it had everything to do with their target locating being somewhere I never plan on moving to and very poor writing.

It's not a question of right or wrong as I set up the title with a question mark implying it's on a hypothetical basis. The author asserts that a certain neighborhood around MIT has more programmers per capita than anywheres else in the world. Then he adds there's more software developers in Boston and Cambridge than anywheres else in the world.

I'm not in the habit of duplicating article titles for my topic titles. In this thread I listed the article's title as a link. My topic title focused on where you're most likely to find programmers (and by implication where you're most likely to find programmer jobs here in the US assuming the article is accurate).

Back
Top Bottom