XP slow after hooking to net

Dr12volt1338

Beta member
I have an HP a700n that I picked up super cheap for cutting/design computer. I re installed XP home when I got it and installed my cutting software and a few other programs (FlexiSign Pro, Corel 12, adobe CS3.) it ran great for a few months until........ I decided to put a wireless card in an get internet access.... I was tired of downloading to my laptop and transferring via flash drive.... I know there was probably a way to network these together and keep my cutting machine off the net but its still extra steps.... It was fine and super fast with 512 MB of ram until it started installing updates... Now it is really slow I added another 512MB and maxed it out at 1GB and still runs slow.... I don't know which update did it or if that is even the culprit... I have scanned for viruses ran a registry cleaner and Malwarebytes.... Does anyone have any suggestions??? The processor is a AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.1 GHz... The HD is only 80GB and less then a 1/3 full.

I think it is normal for Windows XP to slow down considerably whilst installing updates, especially if it has been a while since you last updated. Any other symptoms other than slowness? i.e., symptoms that lead you to suspicion of virus or malware?

By any chance have you only just installed Service Pack 3?

EDIT: It could have installed Microsoft Security Essentials which will scan in the background and slow it down.

Back
Top Bottom