Micro-ATX Motherboard Upgrade [HELP NEEDED]

iBVGx

Solid State Member
Hi, my name is nathan.

I am a regular pc user who wants to start playing more high end games such as battlefield etc. So naturally i was unhappy that my system currently only has 3GB of ram and wanted to upgrade, however upon inspection I researched my motherboard and found that it only supports 4GB.

My mother is "Pegatron Corporation 2A99", here's a spec list:
Pegatron Corporation 2A99 Mainboard Specs

Therefore I was looking at buying any Micro-Atx gaming motherboard such as the ones listed below. However before purchasing i wanted to know if i would be able to just simply repalce my current motherboard and if everything would work (Graphics card, etc), or is there more to take into considoration when buying a new motherboard?

List of possible motherboards I wanted to buy:

ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS Maximus V GENE

ASUS Rampage II GENE Republic of Gamers - motherboard - micro ATX - LGA1366 Socket - X58 - Motherboards - CNET Archive

If anyone could reply to this read and inform me if its is as simple as buying a new motherboard such as the ones listed above it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan

It is not always necessary that the components that you were using on your old motherboard will fit into the new one you buy.. So, before buying any new motherboard just do a full research on the type of motherboard that you are planning to buy and make sure that your old components fit in properly.

What are the full specs of your system?

Your current motherboard is a Socket AM3. If you get a board that is not Socket AM3/AM3+, you will need to replace the processor.

PCIe graphics cards are pretty standard and will work in any motherboard. Same thing with hard drives and optical drives. When changing a motherboard, the biggest things you have to look for in compatibility is the processor and RAM.

What are the full specs of your system?

Your current motherboard is a Socket AM3. If you get a board that is not Socket AM3/AM3+, you will need to replace the processor.

PCIe graphics cards are pretty standard and will work in any motherboard. Same thing with hard drives and optical drives. When changing a motherboard, the biggest things you have to look for in compatibility is the processor and RAM.

I have found this motherboard:
ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS M5A78L-M LX

It supports upto 8GB DDR3 witch is what type of ram I am currently using + the ideal amount of ram that I want to use. It also is Micro-ATX the same form factor as my current motherboard. As far as I know it's compatible so do you think this would be ideal?

It'll work. I would see if I could find something with 4 memory slots. More room for expansion. Any reason you're sticking with µATX?

It'll work. I would see if I could find something with 4 memory slots. More room for expansion. Any reason you're sticking with µATX?

I want to stick to micro-atx because my computer case doesn't look like it has the room to fit an ATX motherboard. + It's better from my point of view to find a motherboard that is the same form factor as your previous one, therefore you know you're not going to get any issues.

I have found this motherboard:
ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS M5A78L-M LX

It supports upto 8GB DDR3 witch is what type of ram I am currently using + the ideal amount of ram that I want to use. It also is Micro-ATX the same form factor as my current motherboard. As far as I know it's compatible so do you think this would be ideal?

You have a board currently that holds max 4GB RAM

You want 8GB

In the future, what if you want 16GB? You'd need to buy a new motherboard again.

Try looking out for a board which can support more RAM.

What CPU do you have?

EDIT: Personally I'd splash out and buy something like this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...aid-sata-pcie-20-(x16)-graphics-on-board-matx

USB3.0 (Latest USB type), SATA III (Latest SATA type), 4 slots for RAM and a max of 16GB

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom