Is 4G worth it?

It was mentioned that an LTE phone would go for $500. The Samsung Galaxy S III will start off at $200 - $250 (which sounds like the beginning of a price war).

These are all prices after two year activation... Go to apple.com and look at a new iPhone 4s. When you click Buy now you see that the price is "From $199" with a footnote after the price. The footnote is rather lengthy but starts with "Requires new two-year wireless service contract;"

4G is not worth it.

You're going to buy a new phone.
That phone will cost you $500+
That phone will die very quickly because that phone is looking for 4G signal constantly
In 2014, you will have spend another $500 on a new phone
Don't get a 4G phone. That's almost as good as buying BluRay movies before the players were invented. Just wait.

Plus, what the hell do you need 4G on a phone for? I can't imagine a 'life or death' situation where the 4G is really going to make that much of a difference. What phone are you downloading HD movies to from an FTP server on? None! Get a phone to have a phone. Get a tablet to play games, read books, watch movies. Get a PC/Mac to rule them all.
If, in 2014, there is 4G everywhere, and you happen to purchase a nice new phone that you like, and it so happens to have 4G, then there's an added perk. After buying the latest and greatest crap year after year to download the latest and greatest apps day after day, I finally got an LG Lucid because it was android, and I paid $50 for it. It makes calls, it send text messages, it can even give me directions! Hexacore, 2342GB phones are pointless. If I want to play an action shooter with great graphics, I get on my gaming rig and nerd out.

Edit: Cricket uses Sprint's network. You can get an Unlimited package and tethering for the same purpose as strollin, but outside of that, wait until 23423G comes out. :D
4G has it benefits, to you it might not be worth it...to others is will be.

Who cares, really? It goes ring, ring, I go "hello". When I'm through talking I say bye and hang up. What else do you really need a cell phone to do that is worth all the money you put out for the phone and monthly service?

Who cares, really? It goes ring, ring, I go "hello". When I'm through talking I say bye and hang up. What else do you really need a cell phone to do that is worth all the money you put out for the phone and monthly service?
Following that logic, why have a cell phone at all? Just use pay phones or snail mail.

If you are just using a mobile phone for calls only and used in populated areas then I suppose 4G is no value for you but again if you are using a mobile phone with all the bells & whistles, internet streaming and maximum coverage then 4G is definitely the go.....;).

As I posted earlier, 4G DL speed makes it very worthwhile for me. I needed to DL a large file. I started the DL on my system using my home ISP. The DL progress indicated it would complete in 5 1/2 hrs. Ugh! Instead, I tethered my phone to my laptop using an app called PdaNet. Using 4G on the phone, the same DL took only 1 hour instead of 5 1/2. Very much worth it to me.

Let me complicate matters, if you will. As I already announced, I'm getting a computer. Both will have internet access. A computer will have certain advantages over a Cricket smartphone, these advantages being:

1) Speed
2) Memory capacity
3) Adobe Flash Player
4) No throttling under FIOS
5) Easier to type (in fact, typing this post is a struggle with a smartphone)
6) No battery power limitations

just to name a few advantages. So the question really becomes is 4G worth it and is a smartphone worth it too?

The smartphone's big advantage is it's portability. Will your new computer fit in your pocket?

For me, it's not an either/or thing. I have my computer to do the things computers are good at, I have a smartphone to do the things it's good at. I use them both. Typing a large document would be a PITA on a smartphone but having the ability to check and respond to email while out and about with my smartphone sure beats needing to lug around a computer (even a laptop, netbook or tablet).

The smartphone's big advantage is it's portability. Will your new computer fit in your pocket?

For me, it's not an either/or thing. I have my computer to do the things computers are good at, I have a smartphone to do the things it's good at. I use them both. Typing a large document would be a PITA on a smartphone but having the ability to check and respond to email while out and about with my smartphone sure beats needing to lug around a computer (even a laptop, netbook or tablet).

I agree with what you're saying. It depends in part on how much access you need with the internet. For example there are mobile websites you can only access with a smartphone. Then there are apps that are designed for the phone that I don't think you can get through the computer. I'm also keeping in mind that the situation is fluid because I believe that ordinary cell phone usage may become extinct if the industry just totally switches to smartphones.

I believe that ordinary cell phone usage may become extinct if the industry just totally switches to smartphones.

Welcome to the real world, technology and it use is changing all the time....matter of fact you will probably find a lot of forum posts are done by smart phones.....:thumb:

I know quite a few younger friends who do this all the time.

Back
Top Bottom