Basic

Scyere

Baseband Member
Does anyone know if the programming language "BASIC" is good for game development?

Generally speaking, no, but it's not that simple. A lot depends on how good the BASIC compiler is that you use. Some BASIC is even interpreted which certainly doesn't lend itself to good game performance.

Taking a step back here, the question implies you have rather limited programming experience - otherwise it's unlikely you'd be asking it. That's fine, we all have to start somewhere, but I'd question whether you should start with such a (relatively) major project. It's how a lot of people get put off programming, they start with something way too big, ask lots of questions, get frustrated when people tell them to go back and understand the basics then eventually turn away from it altogether.

It's great you're thinking of something like this from scratch, but I'd seriously advise you to start simpler first :)

One entry level point might be Greenfoot. You use Java (a proper, professional programming language) to create 2D games relatively easily, with lots of help provided for you in the form of tutorials, forums etc. if you get stuck. You can then upload your game online for others to see and comment on.

I am relatively new to programming, I'm learning C++ and I understand that I need to start small, and I am, I was asking that question mainly to figure out if basic would be a good language to learn after I become comfortable with C++

I am relatively new to programming, I'm learning C++ and I understand that I need to start small, and I am, I was asking that question mainly to figure out if basic would be a good language to learn after I become comfortable with C++

Wrong way round ;)

In all seriousness, BASIC is traditionally a teaching language people tend to start with. C++ is at the other end of the scale - it's very powerful but horrendously complicated. Related to your question, it's also arguably the most popular language for professional game development, though again this doesn't make it easy (or these days, necessarily the best choice either.)

When you're comfortable with C++, I'd consider moving to something like C# or Java - those are languages which are a) easier to learn than C++ and b) have many more practical applications and real-world uses than BASIC will ever do.

I know C++ isn't easy, for from it. but its mainly used in most games made for most consoles, with is what I want(eventually, no hurry)

I like it so far :) I got a book from the library that introduces alot of stuff and explains it without using to much technical talk :)

Back
Top Bottom