How much do you tip?

What tipping plan do you follow?

• I follow the 10%-15%-20 plan

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • I follow some other plan

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I don't follow any plan. I pay what I feel like.

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters
Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;12097086 said:
I generally tip around 20% as long as the service is good. If it's bad I'll tip a lot less based on how long it takes them to bring me a new beer, condiments or improperly delaying portions.

This. When I was young, my family lived on tips for a while, so I am very aware of how critical it can be for some people. With that said, I will undertip if the service was well below acceptable.

I typically leave a ~15% tip although it often irritates me to do so. In my opinion tipping is supposed to be given for exceptional service but is actually expected regardless (at least here in the US). Most often I feel I receive adequate service but it's very rare to receive exceptional service.

I generally don't tip, there are a few exceptions:

If I've had an exceptionally great meal, I will tip.

if there is a big group, say we all need to pay £13.11 each, we'd generally all put in £15 to make things easier for ourselves and for the restaurant.

I don't usually tip by percentage, my tips would usually be to round off a figure, or just a few coins that I might have on me.

In America, 15% used to be the norm for decent service, but now it's moved to 20%. If I order a $7 meal, I'll generally leave $3 if the service is good. But when it comes to more expensive meals, I try and tip 20%-25% unless the server was bad.

The problem in America is this.

For some god-awful reason, our politicians who make oodles of money each year found in their kind and generous hearts to allow jobs that get gratuity to pay less. A waitress can start as low as "$4/hour + tips". Tips are not guaranteed income or a means of survival (expect exotic dancers maybe?). They should be [viewed as] a 'thank you' for the great service. Instead, it is now 'expected' so our backwards a** politicians allow companies to pay less than minimum wage for those jobs, knowing that mothers struggle feeding the next generation of backwards a** people.

Now, since the tip is expected, I expect a certain level of service.
Bad service? Bad tip!
Good service? Expected tip.
Great Service? Better tip.
"Does this person know me???" Service? I'll make sure the service is the same or better next time I stop in.

I tip according to how the food is and the service. Normally well above the scale. Next time I walk in the door I get better service. They know I'll do them right.

It also depends on the bill. I'm more likely to leave $2 or $3 with my $6 or $7 lunch bill. But I'm not going to leave a 50% tip if my dinner bill is like $50 or $60.

I try to be very generous with tips as long as the service is good. I usually aim for about 20%, sometimes even 25%, but at a couple specific restaurants that I frequently go to, sometimes I'll tip a specific waitress that I sit with 30-45%. Not at all afraid to not leave anything if the service doesn't deserve anything though.

Back
Top Bottom