Screen Lines and flicker

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
I have a laptop that has 7 or 8 small hairline blue and red lines running accross the taskbar.

Just recently the screen has started to flicker every 5 - 10 seconds.

I have tested on external and it works fine so its either the cable or screen ?

I have wiggled and reseated the data cable aswell

j5in9i.jpg

Last edited:
Do this lines change when you move the lid?

Sometimes the monitor cable wears out near the hinge.

have checked this but the cable is a ribbon cable and i cant see any pinching or damage to the cable.

I just tested the screen by just plugging in the inverter and then powered on the machine. the screen went pure white and no lines or flickering was seen.

If the screen was faulty then wouldnt the lines appear on the just inverter test ?

Just because the cable looks good does not necessarily mean it is. Turn on the laptop and move the lid around.

I have just removed the cable from the laptop and inspected it, Although i cant see any visual problems like pinching (its a ribbon cable so it dont run down hinges) it still could be problematic. I have ebayd the part number and can get hold of one for about £12.50 so i think i best try that first before buying a screen.

I have just removed the cable from the laptop and inspected it, Although i cant see any visual problems like pinching (its a ribbon cable so it dont run down hinges) it still could be problematic. I have ebayd the part number and can get hold of one for about £12.50 so i think i best try that first before buying a screen.

Yes. Start with the cheap stuff. The cable usually goes bad from repeated flexing from opening and closing the lid.

You can see the pixels are all still aligned and there is no liquid crystal blackspots or leaks, screens can fail but still look fine but it's rare. I'd agree with changing the cable. Is the cable+Inverter a single unit or are they separate?

No they are Separate. It has gone back to customer now as they only wanted a diagnostic as they have previous experience. I said it could be screen or cable and suggested try cable first however I think they are going to put a new screen in.

I'm pretty sure it's the screen as the cable is the ribbon type and does not bend harshly any ware. Search r400 screen cable on eBay and you will see what I mean.

When they get back to me as to the solution I shall update.

Back
Top Bottom