What is a computer good for besides internet?

alvisno15

Baseband Member
I know this is what Google says about their Chromebook and how good it is, but it does make you think, would you even use your computer without the internet? I wouldn't :pcmad:

What are some cool programs to install? For Linux preferably (I use that, but I have an older Windows computer to :D )

I know this is what Google says about their Chromebook and how good it is, but it does make you think, would you even use your computer without the internet? I wouldn't :pcmad:

What are some cool programs to install? For Linux preferably (I use that, but I have an older Windows computer to :D )
Computer has so many functions, internet is one of so many....... bit of a silly question.

Last edited:
I got my first computer in 1984 and didn't get on the 'net until around 1990 so I used a computer for approximately 6 years with no internet access. We did have bulletin boards (BBS) that we could dial in to which were similar to the WWW but much smaller in scope.

Anyway, there's lots you can do on a computer with no internet access. Use it to play games, track your finances, word processing, spreadsheets, artwork, play music, teach yourself programming, etc...

right now im looking for a job so im using my computer to write an awful lot of covering letters and making my cv

would you even use your computer without the internet?

The youth of today...

You make me feel old.

If everyone thought that, there'd be no internet at all ;)

I didn't know this was a dumb question :confused:
Thanks for the reply's

Oh, I didn't say it was a dumb question. Far from it actually, in this day and age it is a rather relevant question, and most people I know struggle to use their computer "properly" without the internet.

But looking back even 15 years ago, connecting to the internet was a special, separate notion you used if you wanted to access a particular online resource. It was the exception, rather than the rule, to using your PC.

20 years ago it wasn't a notion most people would even think about. Heck, looking at a PC at all was the exception. If you wanted to research something, you'd fire up your copy of Encarta, and if it wasn't in there you'd pack up and head to the nearest library.

It just reminds me how times have changed in, relatively speaking, a very short time.

I write. I convert/edit/fix electronic books (though I still prefer dead-tree format, you can't beat the portability of eBooks).

I design and draw electronics schematics for test equipment.

I listen to music and sort my musical library.

I use spreadsheets, databases, etc. for tracking various financial and maintenance tasks.

I journal offline.

I used to play video games, but I haven't time to do so anymore.

I mess around with my OS, maintain my computer networks, program.

For software, I use the Libre Office suite, mySQL, phpymyadmin, the GIMP, Firefox, Banshee (Ubuntu user).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom