Why I think Macs are overhyped

I own 2 G3's with OS 9.2.2, fixing to throw OSX 10.3 on them. Other than the awful hard drives, which one died, but hard drives die, so meh, they've been as reliable and as stable as any other computer i've owned, as long as you have no problem with using powerpc based programs, or spending a lot, there's relatively no difference between the two's performace(with exception of flash for PPC). If one of you is just hoping for one of the companies to financially collapse, here's some thought to you: unless IBM starts making an OS2 sequel real fast, and one of our 2 os companies dies, there's going to be one hell of a monopoly, apple/microsoft/remaining company is going to charge insane prices for the software, because there's no competition (ubuntu is free people, no money sucking company behind it).

So competition is good, same goes for AMD & Intel, unless VIA grows a pair in the performance dept...

All right, this is quickly becoming the MAC vs PC thread I mentioned. Lets not go there guys and gals.

Actually I spent £999 on my macbook, two years ago; and it hasn' thad a single issue or glitch at all. And, it's still got a better spec than most mid-range laptops now.

Maybe you forgot, but being a douche doesn't grand you magical moderator powers, endofthread lol

endofcredibility

And I wasn't being a douche because of what he said I was laughing at his response to me, just because your behind a computer screen doesn't make you tough. Fight with your hands not with your mouth pus

oh wow okay so violence is the way forward is it now , wow clever kid eh cant win an argument with reason and logic so has to resort to fists .tell you what seeing as your some silly little 19 yo kid im not awfully suprised . Perhaps next time you cant think of anything better to say than that you just shouldn't contribute to the adult discussion

Anyway it goes a little bit like this . You said
You could build something better than half of a Mac for half the price, end of story
In response to this I would say in which way would the computer you build be "better" what is your subjective standard .of course in terms of raw specification you could build a desktop computer that is better however My macbook pro is clearly more portable than your desktop so I could reasonably argue that that makes my macbook pro better . clearly better is a relative term and is a subjective way of judging a product . I wanted a really portable machine with decent battery life that looks good so I bought a macbook pro as that to me was better for those requirements than anything else on the market at the time .

additionally you said
Lol okay u go spend 3000 grand on a MacBook ill spend a grand that'll shiiiiiiit all over your computer

of course your ability to build a laptop computer is severely limited by the fact that laptop computer components are not readily available to purchase .I could build a desktop that would destroy my macbook pro in terms of raw computing power for a lot less than I paid for my macbook however as i mentioned above it would not be portable . You may be able to purchase a laptop that will out specify my macbook for a fair bit less than I purchased it for . However if you put them side by side they will not be comparable products . I believe if you look at the high end offerings from numerous laptop manufacturers you will find that apples laptop pricing is actually not that astronomical .apple dont do a budget machines and to compare the macbook pro with a plastic HP budged machine would be silly and not at all a fair comparison

Its just that some people dont think about how long they want their laptop to last them when they purchase it . It is obvious to suggest for example that my macbook pro built from aluminum is going to outlast a hp laptop of a simillar spec that has a polycarbonate casing . surely this lasting build quality is something people may take into account when deciding what is "better" in order to make an informed purchasing decision .

its like saying a ford focus and a Mercedes C55 will both reach 100mph which is more than enough speed to drive within the law .you can carry 4 or 5 people in both vehicles , They both keep you dry when its raining outside and they both have an ample luggage capacity however many people would assert that one is clearly "better" than the other because the Mercedes offers more comfort , better technology and optional extras and you get the brand recognition .

Where's a banhammer when you need one?

Also, yes I was doing graphics and video editing for a local IT company's advertising campaign for about 18 months, play TF2, WoW, Diablo and shit on it.

And mate, get your scrawny American arse across the pond and we'll see who's a 'pus'.

its all OK though because your complete neanderthal attitude of if I dont agree or it doesn't work how I want I will use violence would probably be more suited to the use of a well built aluminum macbook pro which could probably sustain a few thumps before breaking .

IMO, the OPs premise is valid, regardless of whether I agree with his reasons. As good as Macs may be, they don't quite live up to the hype that surrounds them. If Mac fans were a little less rabid, the computing community at large would tolerate them much better.

Back
Top Bottom