Help with Norton please???

jillb

Beta member
Hello I am new to this site.

I recently purchased and downloaded a keylogger spy programme onto my spare laptop which my children and partner use. I got some help with someone to download it as Norton kept rejecting it. It was all working well for 3 days then suddenly Norton started rejecting the keylogger programme again. All I can presume is that my partner made some changes to Norton??

I have gone into Norton and saw the programme in the quarantine section so took it back out but its still not working and the programme keeps coming up in the norton resolved security risks section saying it has been blocked.

Can anyone help me get this programme running again without Norton blocking it?

Many thanks

Norton is blocking it because it likely contains viruses or malicious code. If you can offer a better reason for wanting such a program, I'm sure members here could offer options that are much better suited for what you need.

Its a legitimate programme set for monitoring what your children/staff/husbands are doing on your laptop. There must be a way to configure Norton to accept it as it was working when I first loaded it onto my laptop but since then someone has gone into norton and done something that is now stopping the programme working and Im not very technical to know what to reset in norton let allow it to run again.

What is the name of the spying software?

Which Norton product are you using?

If you have not already done so, there is a File Exclusions tab IIRC. Just add the software there for Norton 360 to ignore it.

My personal opinion though is that this operation is a bad idea. The data that you collect must be sent and stored with good security. You could easily compromise the information security of your family.

Please check out this screenshot from Norton Community.

(Looks like they have done away with the File Exclusions tab, but you should be able to exclude files by clicking on the "Configure [+]" under "Exclusions / Low Risks".)

Last edited:
That is very kind Dale. When I had the programme set up we did do the above task and set it as an exclusion and it is still there as an exclusion but Norton still keeps putting it in quaranteen and blocking it. I have managed to get the spyware up and running again because I found it in the trash bin on the laptop so removed it and re run it, but it is sat in the downloaded files on the laptop and I need to hide it. Norton is still reporting the programme in security history under resolved security risks saying blocked so Im not sure why?

I am guessing (because I've only used Norton a few years back, and not for long) this is because this software generates other processes, and Norton recognised these processes through heuristic methods, i.e., it did not actually have the exact code in database, but a part of it (a signature or a pattern) that was used to compare, and after some calculation found the software as a spyware (which it is)...

If this is the case, you have to see if Norton can exclude files based on signature. You might need to get Norton to pick up this software again, and then try to exclude according to the signature. This is going to be a lot less failproof or straightforward than the file exclusion method.

Also, to my knowledge Norton does not throw things into the bin. It has its own place for quarantine. So if you found the software in the bin, I think your family might have noticed its existence.

Back
Top Bottom